Snow Leopard 10.6 Server on Parallels Trouble (Install Freehand MX)

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by RenéW, Feb 27, 2013.

1. RenéW

RenéW Bit poster

Hi,
    i installed a brand new Snow Leopard 10.6 Server in Parallels 8. The OS runs fine but i can't install Freehand MX on it.
    The Problem is, the Freehand Installer opens the Terminal App and i get the Error-Message "cannot execute binary file".
    I think there is a problem with Rosetta and Parallels. Every PowerPC Application won't run. I'm sure that Rosetta is installed. I tried also a SL Server installation on a bootable Partition and run it natively. All works fine on it.
    Can anybody help me.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

First we need to make sure Rosetta is indeed installed.

"If Rosetta is installed you will find the executable file "translate" in this folder:
    /usr/libexec/oah/
    In Snow Leopard if it is not installed then only the executable "RosettaNonGrata" will be in this folder

So for all OS X versions just test for the presence of /usr/libexec/oah/translate"

http://forums.realsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29780

3. RenéW

RenéW Bit poster

First, thanks for the fast answer.
    I found 2 executable Files (translate and RosettaNonGrata) and a Folder (shims) in /usr/libexec/oah/.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Seems to be installed then, do you have any other PPC app you can test if it's working?

5. RenéW

RenéW Bit poster

I tried MacTheRipper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacTheRipper). It runs. I have checked System Profiler/Applications and MacThe Ripper is a PowerPC Application. It's very strange: On my normal SnowLeopard installation, i can find much more PowerPC Apps. As Examples: Macromedia Flash Player 6. But under Parallels and SLServer the FlashPlayer App is a executable unix file.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

So, Rosetta works.
    Have you rebooted the SL Server VM? I suspect the File Associations haven't been refreshed yet since Rosetta was auto-installed (it installs automatically when you run a PPC app), or maybe Launch Services and dyld's* shared cache need to be rebuilt, this corrects miscellaneous file association problems.

I normally use Onyx ( http://www.titanium.free.fr ) for this sort of cleanup and rebuilding. Go to Maintenance > Rebuild under Onyx to rebuild these caches.

* Taken from Onyx Help: "dyld is a dynamic loader responsible for loading all frameworks, dylibs, and bundles needed by a process. You can use this option to update the caches used by dyld and sometimes correct problems (in particular with Rosetta). It replaces the update_prebinding command used in the previous versions of Mac OS X, which is obsolete in Mac OS X 10.6."

7. RenéW

RenéW Bit poster

I have rebuilt the dyld-Cache with Onyx (SnowLeopard Version). I have restartet the VMware. Same Error. Sorry.

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

VMWare is a brand, you probably mean VM (Virtual Machine).

As for your problem, I suspect something is wrong with your SL Server installation. There isn't any known incompatibility between Rosetta and Parallels.

9. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

10. theant

theant Bit poster

11. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Which version of Parallels are you using?

12. theant

theant Bit poster

7 on Mountain Lion and the Freehand installer doesn't start, it appears as a unix file

13. theant

theant Bit poster

Rosetta is ok, I installed MacTheRipper and it works fine.

14. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Version 7 may be too old for Mt. Lion; I do not recall. Do you have the last version of 7?

Versions 8 and 9 provide a Shared Folders folder for easy file sharing.

Display resolution - I do not know... must be a setting somewhere in Parallels and maybe a RAM issue.

15. theant

theant Bit poster

Hello, I'm trying to install Freehand on Snow Leopard in El capitan/Parallels 13. The installer file is shown as an exec icon and I get only messages like this:

Last login: Thu Feb 28 17:00:25 on ttys000
    /Users/antonio/Desktop/Installatore\ di\ FreeHand\ MX ; exit;
    studiocreativo:~ antonio$ /Users/antonio/Desktop/Installatore\ di\ FreeHand\ MX ; exit;
    -bash: /Users/antonio/Desktop/Installatore di FreeHand MX: cannot execute binary file
    logout

[Process completed]

16. theant

theant Bit poster

17. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Freehand required a patch to run in Snow Leopard, which used to be available on the Adobe site. Have you applied this patch?