Reinstallation of Parallels 10 After Hard Drive Recovery

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SheldonS1, Mar 22, 2019.

1. SheldonS1

SheldonS1 Bit poster

My MacBook's started acting very strange and I had to recover my computer from a backup. Everything seemed to go well but now Parallels gives me an error "Parallels Desktop Cannot Be Started, Please reinstall parallels". How do I reinstall Parallels 10? I don't want to lose the data on my previous Windows virtual machine!

Thanks!
    Sheldon

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi Sheldon, You should be able to download by going to Parallels.com and losing into your account. From the dashboard click on Legacy licenses on the next page you should be able to download a copy. Then follow the prompts to install Parallels. Your existing VM shouldn't be effected, but if they were not backed up you may not be able to recover them. But as long as you hav the .pvm files for them you should be ok.
    Once you have reinstalled Parallels from the menu go to file>open >then navigate to your .pvm file.

3. SheldonS1

SheldonS1 Bit poster

Thanks! That is exactly what I did and I have success. I didn't know that Parallels would allow you to download the old version of Parallels at no additional cost. I greatly appreciate that!

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Thank you for your feedback. If you have a valid license, you can download any legacy license.

5. SheldonS1

SheldonS1 Bit poster

Yes, I did have a valid license. I should have mentioned that in my earlier post. I am so please that Parallels let me re-download my old software that I will plan on buying a new version of Parallels when I purchase my next new computer.

6. kat

kat Product Expert

I am glad I could help you with the information that you needed.
    kat

7. DallasS2

DallasS2 Bit poster

There's a chance that your hard drive is damaged and you need to fix it, but I'm not one hundred percent sure about that. You should consult with any service that repairs HDD, SSD, and so on.