Slow Windows startup with Parallels 14

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by EdA4, Oct 6, 2018.

1. mos11dbo

mos11dbo Junior Member

Shouldn't we be asking for refunds at this point? In my case, Parallels/Windows is essentially unusable, so I am paying an annual subscription for a program that just sits on my machine with no functionality.

2. DouglasM5

DouglasM5 Bit poster

I don't think that's too much to ask. I use Parallels for one program. That's it. ONE. At this point, it's cheaper to go buy a disposable computer that should last for a few years than to pay this subscription.

3. DouglasM5

DouglasM5 Bit poster

I shopped online and found a laptop for 238.50 once all of my incentives and discounts were applied to it. It's dirt cheap and looks to do all that I need it to. I figure the time I've put into making Parallels work over the last year is worth the cost of a new machine.

4. Just for check, guys, could you please clone your VM and start the cloned one. Please let me know about performance in cloned VM.

5. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

Hello Maria,
    that is also the solution, which was tried 6 months ago by the support - without success.
    I tried it again - unfortunately no improvement !!!

6. Ok, I've found your ticket and also my colleague has informed you, that issue has been escalated to the Parallels Engineering team. This issue is still under investigation. In order to continue working on it, could you please generate the problem report after the issue reproduced. (Tech Report from the newest version of Parallels Desktop will be very helpful)
    Thanks in advance.

7. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

Hello,

I have just written back a current TimeMachine backup like BrianJ6 in "Performance problems in Windows 10 after upgrade to v14" wrote it and it is unbelievable: Start Windows 1.30 minutes and with the Windows user interface can work relatively smoothly be (for comparison with the same VM on an external SSD start Windows in 18 seconds and very fast Windows user interface)

8. IkechukwuN

IkechukwuN Junior Member

Am having the same problem here. I just bought Parallels but start time and shut down time is so long. I'll try reinstalling. I removed VirtualBox which was much faster than this only to find software I paid for even slower.

9. IkechukwuN

IkechukwuN Junior Member

Am reporting back. So I had installed windows from my boot camp and so very slow. I changed that and imported my boot camp and ran windows from there. Significant improvement. startup time is now down to less than 4 minutes from 12 minutes. I hope a future updates even reduces it more. I was also having performance issues with the windows from my boot camp but after the import of boot camp, performance also increased.

10. JOHANA3

JOHANA3 Bit poster

I have the same problem since the Parallels 14 update, now on 14.1.3. Startup on my MacBookPro 13 from July 2016 with 16 GB RAM 512 GB SSD and 8 GB RAM for the latest update (2019-04-08) Windows 10 Enterprise. On both the Mac&Windows side I'm using F-Secure protection. Booting is around 4 minutes, after login it takes around 4-5 minutes more before I can do anything productive since it is lagging heavily and and doesn't react on more than one mouse click at a time. After it has "cleared the path" in about 10 minutes it seems quite normal. Since updates are coming almost every week, a faster reboot has become an increasingly important issue to avoid waiting in the front of customers and colleagues.

11. andeas

andeas Bit poster

Came to that forum in searching for a solution. Have the same symptoms with Parallels 13 and VirtualMachine Win10. Then bought the upgrade to 14. But it does not solve the issue. Very slow booting in Win10. Then extremely slow start of programs. Now is May. Hints to fix this are very welcome. If I can't fix this, this iMac will be replaced by a Windows machine. As others mention: I see 100% Disk read/write under Win10.

12. KevinW18

KevinW18 Bit poster

I ended up wiping my HD and reinstalling everything as something was causing a drag on my complete system. Since then Parallels and Windows 10 have worked excellent. Wiping improved the performance of my MacBook incredibly. Not for everyone but it was apparent that it needed it.

13. RAILITYL

RAILITYL Member

Clean boot completed. No big difference in time. So, what time is "normal"?

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  14. IkechukwuN

IkechukwuN Junior Member

Mine has slowed down again (from less than 4 minutes to 7 minutes) and if future updates don't fix it, then i won't be renewing my subscription. VirtualBox is much faster than this and I don't see the point paying to wait more than 7 minutes for it to boot up and I actually am able to do any work.