Keyboard Shortcut for Home/End

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MDSilverado, Oct 31, 2011.

1. MDSilverado

MDSilverado Bit poster

I use Home and End fairly frequently on a PC keyboard. When using my MBP with Parallels(Win 7) I feel lost without those keys. Is there a keyboard shortcut in Parallels/Win 7? I tried Cmnd-RightArrow for end but it doesn't work. Is there a listing of keyboard shortcuts for Parallels/Win7 somewhere?

2. AndrewBT

AndrewBT Member

Bump.

I'm searching how to resolve this issue - anyone have any idea? Common keyboard shortcuts I use in Visual Studio 2010 are:

Home: move to beginning of line
    End: move to end of line
    CTRL+Left or right Arrow: Skip a word (left, right)
    CTRL+SHIFT+Left or right Arrow: Hightlight a word (Left, right)
    SHIFT+END: Select to end of the line
    SHIFT+HOME: Select to beginning of the line
    CTRL+Up Arrow: Edit multiple lines simultaneously

None of these shortcuts are available when running VS2010 under Parallels Desktop 8 - which makes it quite a pain to use!

RaphaelF1 likes this.
  3. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

I use FUNCTION Left Arrow and it brings me to the beginning of the line I'm writing on when I'm writing emails in Outlook but it doesn't work in some other programs.

DercilioF likes this.
  4. Im GoingE

Im GoingE Bit poster

same here. could def use a keyboard shortcut mapping. My arrow keys could do without the abuse ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2021
  5. RaphaelF1

RaphaelF1 Member

I know it's a very old thread, but apparently the problem remains. Same debacle here.

6. Could you please provide us with more details about the issue and also with the version of Parallels desktop which you're using.

7. RaphaelF1

RaphaelF1 Member

No problem. Please assist.
    Details:
    1- I am using a plain text editor inside the VM, in my case, Notepad++.
    2- I have a large chunk of text and my cursor is in the middle of a sentence.
    3- I press <home> on the keyboard, which in Windows, should take me to the beginning of the line I am working on.
    4- Nothing happens in Notepad++. What is expected: that the cursor goes all the way to the beginning of the line.

Also, since we are here. The following is also not working for me:
    1- I am using a plain text editor inside the VM, in my case, Notepad++.
    2- I have a large chunk of text and my cursor is in the middle of a sentence.
    3- I press <ctrl>+<home> on the keyboard, which in Windows, should take me to the beginning of the document.
    4- Nothing happens in Notepad++. What is expected: that the cursor goes all the way to the top, the beginning of the document.

Please advise. Tks, Raphael.

8. RaphaelF1

RaphaelF1 Member

And I forgot to provide you with the version that you asked for. Here it is:
    Parallels Desktop Pro Version 14.1.3 (45485)

9. RaphaelF1

RaphaelF1 Member

I don't see why I even should. My predicament has nothing to do with the function key(s) referred to in the article. I need to be able to use Home, End Ctrl+Home, and Ctrl+End the same way as in MS Windows. The function key has no bearing in that.
    Please advise. TIA, Raphael.

10. RaphaelF1

RaphaelF1 Member

New
    I don't see why I even should. My predicament has nothing to do with the function key(s) referred to in the article. I need to be able to use Home, End, Ctrl+Home, and Ctrl+End the same way as in MS Windows. The function key has no bearing in that.
    Please advise. TIA, Raphael.

11. My bad, sorry.
    Did you try to add these shortcuts in VM configuration -> Option -> mouse and keyboard?

12. RaphaelF1

RaphaelF1 Member

What exact shortcut should I map to what exact shortcut to have the results I am looking for in the VM, please?

13. I mean open VM config -> go to hardware tab-> Keyboard -> and then get shortcut window -> click on + and add your shortcuts.

Attached Files:

14. RaphaelF

RaphaelF Junior Member

Maria, the problem is not that we do not know how to add shortcuts. We do! We simply are not getting the results we expect. Control+right arrow should allow us to move to the end of the next word in the focused application in the VM, while Control+left arrow should allow us to move to the beginning of the previous word in the focused application. What is the exact key combination in the Mac side for that, and on the Windows side for that? Most importantly: We also want to be able to move to the end of the current sentence by pressing Control+Option+Right arrow, and to the beginning of the current sentence by pressing Control+Option+Left arrow. What are the exact keys on each side of the configurations please?

15. Saul

Saul Bit poster

Hi RaphaelF, I believe Maria @ Parallels has guided us clearly this time. Even on Windows (which I've used for 10+ years) the following shortcuts can be adjusted in Parallels' Control Center Setting (aka. Parallels' "Windows 10 Configuration"): Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 16.02.52.png
    So, here are the shortcuts in Windows you're asking for:
    • Home = Fn+ArrowLeft -> Type this in Parallels Configuration of keyboard in Windows
    • End = Fn+ArrowRight -> Type this in Parallels Configuration of keyboard in Windows
    • PgUp = Fn+ArrowUp -> Type this in Parallels Configuration of keyboard in Windows
    • PgDown = Fn+ArrowDown -> Type this in Parallels Configuration of keyboard in Windows
    • Shift+Delete = Cmd+Shift+Backspace = permanently remove -> do this so that when you del a file in Windows, you can still get it back in Trash.
    • Fn+Shift+ArrowRight+Alt/Opt (Windows) = Cmd+Shift+ArrowRight (MacOS) = Select all texts from that point to the right -> this is silly of Parallels & Windows because in Windows PC, Fn+Shift+ArrowRight = Move to End without needing the Alt key!
    • Fn+Shift+ArrowLeft+Alt/Opt (Windows) = Cmd+Shift+ArrowLeft (MacOS) = Select all texts from that point to the left -> this is silly of Parallels & Windows because in Windows PC, Fn+Shift+ArrowLeft = Move to Beginning without needing the Alt key!
    Also, you'll have to go to System Preferences in MacOS \ Keyboard \ Shortcuts \ Mission Control to disable to disable all Shortcuts relating to the Ctrl key. Apple does not allow Cmd key with Arrow to toggle Mission Control screen. Without this setting, pressing Ctrl+Arrow in Windows VM toggles the Mission Control screens, which is annoying for veteran PC users who switch to Mac.
    Windows VM on Macbook is still superior due to the easy shortcuts with Ctrl key (which Apple has messed up with) in Word, Excel and text editing.
    Last point: I still couldn't use Insert key even after setting it up in Parallels. It doesn't work.
    Hope this helps. If you have any better settings, let us know.
    Cheers