Quicken v6 not backing up to zip drive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by johngpt, Oct 14, 2007.

1. johngpt

johngpt Junior Member

We're trying to back up data from my wife's Quicken v6 Deluxe, which goes way back to win95. She never liked any of the more recent Quicken for windows versions, so had reverted to it. She'd been using it successfully on an hp computer running winxp.

I set up vmwinxp vial Parallels on our mbp, running 10.4.10 so Kim could keep using her old Quicken app. We're using Parallels Build 4128. I had read about so many problems with more recent builds, that I haven't updated from 4128.

When Kim was still running her Quicken on the hp box, and backing up to her zip100, I began opening Quicken on the mbp, and restoring the data, from her zip100. This worked well.

So now, we're trying to use Quicken here on the mbp, and then back up to that zip100 drive. The vmwinxp is able to see the zip drive. In windows explorer, I see the zip drive as ZIP-100 (E:).

In Quicken, clicking on File>Backup calls up the dialog box which shows E:\ as one of the choices. Current File is ticked below for File to Back Up.

Clicking OK causes the zip drive to activate briefly, a dialog saying backing up the current file shows for a moment, and then a dialog box for Backup Directory shows.

E:\ is the choice, just as it would be when backing up on the old hp computer.

Clicking OK then calls up a dialog box saying "Please enter a valid file name."

Canceling out of these dialog boxes brings up one which says "File NOT backed up."

Might anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  2. jhedleyj

jhedleyj Bit poster

I have Quicken 2001 Deluxe. It's the reason I bought PD as I cannot find a suitable finance program for my Mac! I had the same problem you appear to have and I solved it like this...

Load all your Quicken data into a suitable folder on your Mac e.g. Documents/Quicken.

Open your VM in Parallels and select Devices/Shared Folders/Add. Click on Choose and select the Quicken folder on your Mac.

In Windows (I have XP also) open My Computer, select Tools/Map Network Drive and Browse to your Quicken folder which will show as \\.psf\Quicken. A window should open showing your data folder etc. Make sure the box marked Reconnect at logon is checked.

Open Quicken. Then open the data (qdf) file on the networked drive and subsequently select your networked drive as the place to backup.

Hope this works for you. Best wishes!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  3. johngpt

johngpt Junior Member

Thank you. Haven't had a chance yet to try what you've recommended. Getting home late from work and that macbook in use by SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED.

4. johngpt

johngpt Junior Member

I must not be understanding this from some basic standpoint. I created a folder called Quicken Backup in user/Documents. What do you mean by "load all your Quicken data into a suitable folder"? Data from where exactly? Should I open vmwinxp and via windows explorer navigate to the Quicken folder on the hard drive with its files? Copy and paste them into that user/Documents/Quicken Backup folder?

I went to vmwinxp, My Computer and selected Tools/Map Network Drive. It had two areas to fill out. The upper one had Z: showing. The lower one allowed me to browse to \\.psf\Documents\Quicken Backup and select it. On the second try, when I deleted the Z: and chose (none) for the first option, then an empty window opened showing the contents of Quicken Backup. It was empty because I don't know with what to fill it. See above. :)

What do you mean by "open the data (qdf) file on the networked drive"? I'm guessing that you mean a qdf file which I should have placed into the Documents/Quicken Backup folder? But again, from where would I get that data file?

Sorry about asking what probably are questions which a more experienced operator would know without needing to ask.

And then from within Quicken, when backing up, the first window has us choose on which drive to back up. What does one choose in order to get to that networked drive? Or is that automatically taken care of by having navigated to that networked drive from the File/Open menu and choosing the qdf file to open? Is the pathway then automatically remembered?

So many questions. Sorry.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007