Bootcamp and Parallels Desktop Problem

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by YSG, Mar 9, 2019.

1. YSG

YSG Member

Hello,
    I have a Macbook Pro on which I just installed Bootcamp with Windows 10.
    I also want to use Bootcamp with Parallels Desktop. However, there is a crash on native Windows on Bootcamp but also on the Bootcamp virtual machine. Is it a licensing issue that would consider installing on two different devices?
    What solution do you propose?
    Thank you for your help.

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Your Bootcamp VM is a way for you to use your Bootcamp Windows OS . So yes if your Windows on Bootcamp crashes your Bootcamp VM would also be affected. There are several thing you can do.
    I hope this information will help you.

3. YSG

YSG Member

Thank you for your answer.
    I did reinstall Windows 10 on my Boot Camp partition but there is a licensing issue between native Windows on Boot Camp and my Boot Camp virtual machine via Parallels Desktop. As if Windows 10 recognized two different devices.
    I read kb/9703. But if my VM Boot Camp works, Boot Camp asks me for a license...
    For the moment I use Boot Camp without wifi but it means that I will have to buy a second license...

4. kat

kat Product Expert

Have you followed this part of the instruction?
    If it cannot be activated online - call Microsoft and activate Windows by phone, please tell Microsoft Support you have changes the hardware and need to reactivate Windows installed on your drive . Microsoft should not require using a separate Windows license key for a virtual machine based on Boot Camp partition. Reboot Windows in Boot Camp and make sure Windows is activated.

Please also look at the KB article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/113879

5. YSG

YSG Member

I called Microsft, the license is activated on the VM. But for the BootCamp partition, they told me that if the license was not recognized, you either had to buy one back or disconnect from the Internet...
    However, I have a problem with Windows 10, I have just encountered it with another ADiBAS software. The license has been introduced on my VM and therefore it does not work with the BootCamp partition....
    This hardware problem with Parallels Desktop is becoming a real problem.

6. kat

kat Product Expert

7. YSG

YSG Member

Bootcamp and my Parallels Desktop(PD) VM have been installed successfully. In fact it seems that some software (Windows 10, Office, ADiBAS...) consider that they are 2 different machines, with two different hardware addresses. And as a result, it is impossible for these software to work on Boot Camp and PD VM. I don't know if it's the fault of PD or Apple but it's really annoying this story of a license that can't be used. In these cases there is no point in having a PD VM if the Bootcamp software cannot be used there.