VM's on MacOS Fail to open due to Lack of Space

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JohnP13, May 2, 2019.

1. JohnP13

JohnP13 Member

Hello,

I'm on a Macbook Pro with 1TB SSD, Mojave 10.14.4, and Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac Po Edition. The OS, Parallels and the Toolbox are all on the latest updates. I have 12 different VM's installed, everything from Linux, BSD and Windows OS's, three of them are archived, and until recently, I had a snapshot created for each one, but now all snapshots removed. Also removed a couple of VMs.

I've removed all snapshots, and archived unused VM's, as a way to save space, as well as deleting all .ISO, and .OSF/.OSV, etc VM and appliance files, all to save as much space as I can.

Now, when I open say Windows 10, or FreeBSD, Ubuntu or Kali, I get the message can't start it up due to lack of space. Sometimes I can reboot, and the problem is no longer there, yet this is after I opened up a lot of freespace.

I've also went through removing a VM and reinstalling it as this problem corrupted the VM's HDD. When doing that, I seem to recall having the option to point to where the dir was, like to 'share' space.

What can I do about this odd space issue? Do I need to resize the MacOS SDD partitions? I look at the existing VM's, and do not see where I can make a change as to changing their physical hdd file.

Here is my 'df'
    Filesystem 512-blocks Used Available Capacity iused ifree %iused Mounted on
    /dev/disk1s1 1953800440 976576536 971516784 51% 1485721 9223372036853290086 0% /
    devfs 371 371 0 100% 643 0 100% /dev
    /dev/disk1s4 1953800440 4194344 971516784 1% 2 9223372036854775805 0% /private/var/vm
    map -hosts 0 0 0 100% 0 0 100% /net
    map auto_home 0 0 0 100% 0 0 100% /home

Please help me!
    Thank you

2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

According to df output you have something like 463 Gb free space. Do you experience disk space issue on VM start at the moment?

3. JohnP13

JohnP13 Member

Not if I can open one of them, if/when I can, there are no space issues. The warning/error only happens when on the MacOS hot, and going to open one of the VM's, and stops it right there. And I may have not been clear in the OP, but when I first started getting this, I removed some VM's, archived some VM's, ran space reclaims on others, etc, and reduced greatly in the VM space hogging arena, and I still get this. Often I find I gotta reboot, and then I can open a target VM, whether Windows or a Unix-Like, no rhyme or reason as to why any one VM will give that error.

4. JohnP13

JohnP13 Member

Would changing the VM's HDD into a split 2GB file help? I thought that was an old through back to older OS partition limitations, but maybe it can get past this issue. As right now, I can't open any VM, and I desperately need them.

5. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

No, disk split doesn't solve any space problems.

Having ~400 Gb free disk space means you should not have any problems starting one or several VMs simultaneously. Could you please generate technical report at the moment the issue occurs (make VM window foreground, main app menu -> Help -> Send Technical Data) and post its id here.

6. JohnP13

JohnP13 Member

Yesterday I opened a support ticket and did provide that tech report that you mentioned. Also aired out this issue there referencing the info in this thread. I believe I have resolved the issue at this time, in short, ran a chkdsk fix on MacOS host SSD.

Here is my response I left with Parallels Support:
    "Hello, I believe at this time I may have resolved the issue. I ran a chkdsk with error fix, at the start up level, of the MacOS host. After performing this repair function, now upon fresh boot up, I can open Parallels Desktop, and then open and power down each and every VM I have, without (previous) error of no HDD space on Mac. It is my belief, that something, like installing with a lot of fails, a number of different VM's, along with removing them, stoping, shutting down, etc several of these OS's as VM's, nit only corrupted the local .hdd of the VM, but also in turn, corrupted segments/sectors/areas of the host MacOS's SSD physical space as well. Though it reported having enough space, until a chkdsk with error fix was run to clear and fix that space issue, did that seem to resolve this immediate logged problem. Please let me know what additional details you may need from me on this matter to help support the KB. I'll close this ticket. Thank you."