Guest OZ (XP pro) running slow after upgrade to 5160

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mac123456, Oct 2, 2007.

1. jrkoster

jrkoster Bit poster

Parallels not usable anymore for some applications

Hi Alicia,
    I am still interested why the previous versions of Parallels run fine with 1.5gb associated with it and with the latest build not anymore... Also I fail to understand why decreasing the amount of RAM given to the virtual machine should speed things up... I am using the Adobe Creative Suite 3 on XP (InDesign and InCopy) as well as a web server with a MySQL database). 768MB is not enough RAM to support Adobe InDesign...
    The Parallels development team has to acknowledge that this upgrade actually is a step back performance wise, albeit a step forward maybe in functionality. I understand that this is always a trade off. But making Parallels unable to run important applications like Adobe InDesign CS3 and other heavy graphics applications like Photoshop and Illustrator CS3 is not a good thing... You have to agree with this.

Looking forward to your response Alicia.

Thanks and best regards,
    Remco

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

jrkoster, please, check your PM.

Best Regards,
    Alicia.

3. jessem

jessem Bit poster

We've identified a problem. When will it be fixed?

OK. So we've identified a problem. My question is when will it be fixed?

If I need to provide Parallels any configuration information, I'll be glad to do so.

4. mac123456

mac123456 Bit poster

To answer you question about force quiting.
    If the VM ever goes into a freeze I usually wait it out but, I have yet to wait long enough because if the VM freezes Parallels will soon freeze then my mac will come to follow. The longest I have waited for my mac +Parallels+VM to unfreeze is 13 hours.

I have tried force quiting parallels before it freezes and it doesn't speed things up with the VM.

Here is a screen shot of the acivity monitor with nothing else but it, my mac and the parallels VM running. Parallels is running with 90-153% of cpu usage.

Attached Files:

5. xuanvu

xuanvu Bit poster

All previous build have been fine, but 5160 IS BAD! I can't even do anything right now as it takes forever just to load something, ANYTHING. I was happy with all other updates, Visual Studio have been fine, up until this upgrade. I guess I'll go back to the previous build.

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Geez...

Have you tried hitting ctrl+alt+delete (or fn+ctrl+alt+delete on a laptop that doesn't have a Windows equivalent of the delete key), and then killing the Parallels Tools Center process via task manager? Does that help? Hinder?

7. xuanvu

xuanvu Bit poster

I uninstalled build 5160 and went back to 4560, everything is soooo smooth now... I don't think I'll do any update in the future except for critical fix or important add-ons... I don't really care for 3D or gaming stuffs, for that, I can use BootCamp.

8. jessem

jessem Bit poster

Where can I download the 4560 build? I take it that's an earlier build of Version 3.0? This performance is pathetic.

9. frogywill

frogywill Junior Member

I am curious about all the "check your PM" posts around... If you have information or a fix, why can't it be posted to benefit everyone?

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

They might selectively be releasing internal and test-pool only builds.

11. berdinkerdickle

berdinkerdickle Junior Member

I clicked the 'Search' Button above. Typed in 4560 and got:
    http://forums.parallels.com/search.php?searchid=708142

Scroll down and you will find the Thread announcing the release of Build 4560.

12. forgie

forgie Member

I'm also having crap performance in 5160. The only thing that has made PD bearable is jumping the RAM down from 512 to 256 (I have a 2GHz CD w/ 2GB RAM). It looks like there must be something wrong with the memory allocation or caching or something - there is much more of a delay when opening and closing PD, starting VMs and stuff like that.

13. jessem

jessem Bit poster

Thanks. I found it. Downloaded it and am up and running "fast" using the old build. I really appreciate it.

14. shaun3000

shaun3000 Junior Member

My 5160 install was incredibly slow, as well. As in took-nearly-10-minutes-to-boot slow. I downgraded to 4560 and it's super fast. So like everyone else has said, it's obviously a problem with the latest build.

15. mac123456

mac123456 Bit poster

I have tried the Parallels command for Ctl+ALT+DEL when the system freezes and it makes no difference cause the systems by that time is already to far frozen for another task to take place.

The 5160 build does run at normal (same spead as 4560) speed when P-tools has been turned off or uninstalled though.

16. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello everybody,

I'd like to assure you that our developers are aware of the repeated slowdown reports from our users and we gather all the information to investigate these issues. So, please, PM me a scenario of slowdown, your system description (type of VM, guest OS, amount of RAM specified for the VM, what applications are affected). Thank you. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Waiting for your messages.

Best regards,
    Xenos