Kali 2016 can't install Parallels Tools.

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Thare, Feb 21, 2016.

1. BucoE

BucoE Bit poster

Hi,
    it happens to be that I have the same problem as you guys (which is how I found this thread) AND happen to be turkish :D.
    So first of here is the correct link: http://kali-linuxtr.net/konu-parall...lels-tools-un-kurulmasi-ve-visible-mouse.html
    I got the link by just googling the thread name with a little guessing and reverse engineering the meaning of it :p "Parallels Desktop ile Linux Kali kurulduktan sonra"
    You can use google translate but I can also translate it myself and you can compare yourself and see how good google translate is when it comes to turkish.

Greetings friends,

I wanted to share with you the solution to the problem with installing Parallels Tools and the hidden mouse cursor that occurs after installing Linux Kali on Parallels Desktop.
    I have done a lot of research on this matter and if there are any friends among us that have the same problem, this post will help you to solve it.

Operating system: OS X EL Capitan 10.11.5
    Parallels Desktop: 11.2.0 32581

Linux Kali : 2016.1 (Linux Kali 4.6.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.6.2-2kali2 (2016-06-28) x86_64 GNU/Linux) (copy paste is so good)

(1. to 5 is basically just downloading kali and installing it on Parallels.)

6. Open Terminal and type "nano /etc/apt/sources.list" . Make sure that you have following line in it "deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main contrib non-free" . If not add it. (This was missing for me. Hence the apt-get didnt do much before. I think thats maybe because I didnt choose network mirror when installing but only cdrom)

7. Open Terminal and type these commands

apt-get clean
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade -y
    apt-get dist-upgrade -y
    apt-get install dkms kpartx printer-driver-postscript-hp

8. After the installations have finished , reboot your virtual machine. Kernel was updated in this process.
    9. Click the install Parallel Tools button on the upper right (yellow symbol)
    10. After this a CD Rom will be mount. copy its contents to the a new Folder on the Desktop

Then open Terminal
    cd /root/Desktop
    chmod -R 777 FOLDER_NAME to give/change rights
    11. cd FOLDER_NEW to enter the Folder and then ./install to run the installation process
    12. After the installation of Parallel Tools is completed. The Virtual machine will reboot and the mouse cursor will have disappeared.

To make the mouse visible

13. Open Terminal
    14. mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to ceare the folder
    15. cd /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to enter the folder
    16. ln -s /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-prlmouse.conf . (there is a period in the end , do not forget)
    17. after this type reboot to restart the machine and the mouse cursor will be visible again

I hope this helps

I hope that the new Parallels Desktop Update will fix this and this guide will no longer be needed. But until then this will be the solution.

and the source.

I had to rush it towards the end. Gotta go. I hope this helps. And cheers to this guy. He is my hero

PS: I had to delete all the turkish quotes, because it said english only. Kind of sad that turkish is banned.

2. BenjaminS5

BenjaminS5 Bit poster

Hi, everyone,

I am running into the following problem when trying to install Kali 2016.2 32-bit on my Mac using Parallels 12.1.1 running the latest version of macOS Sierra.

I go through the entire installation process just fine. Then, after the last step, I get this (see attached photo) and everything just stops. Any ideas why it won't continue to the Kali login page? Thanks for any help! Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 2.35.24 PM.png

3. Hugo-OlivierM

Hugo-OlivierM Bit poster

Hi,
    Have to second BenjaminS5's experience here.

I am met with the exact same behaviour, namely a total freeze before making it to the login page, after installing the tools (v. 12.1.1.41491). That is following the full update/upgrade process and installing missing dependencies manually (somehow the installer never sees "printer-driver-postscript-hp" as installed).

The screen, specifically the text on it, flickers and flashes a lot before freezing completely. This led me to believe in a graphic driver issue, but booting with "nomodeset" hasn't yielded any better results.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
    Thanks guys !

NarunC likes this.
  4. NarunC

NarunC Bit poster

Same problem here !

5. ChristopherK4

ChristopherK4 Bit poster

Hi Guys I am also experiencing the same problem

6. CyrilR

CyrilR Bit poster

Same here! Running Parallels Version 12.1.2 (41525) and Kali 2016.2

7. RichP1

RichP1 Bit poster

I have the same problem but only get as far as

/dev/sda1: clean, 368901/1179648 files, 2923154/4718336 blocks

and flashing starts and it won't proceed any further. I thought it might be a graphics driver issue so tried to install the latest xserver intel driver but get a message the latest driver is already installed.

Parallels v12.1.2(41525) and Kali 2016.2-amd64

8. PatrickK2

PatrickK2 Bit poster

So I too keep getting asked to install printer-driver-postscript-hp when running ./install even though print-driver-postscript-hp was already installed via apt-get. Has anyone figured out how to fix this issue? If I click Next, I get an "error has occurred" message.. The installer just can't locate the installed package. Anyone know what might be going wrong or how to fix this issue?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  9. AegisI

AegisI Member

Copied the contents of Commonalities resources CD to a directory on Pc - modified the authorizations of 'install, 'install-gui' and one more computer file (i don't remember which was it) - then I could run the set up.

10. UrsV

UrsV Bit poster

#21 works for me
    Macbook Pro 2014
    Yosemite 10.10.5
    Parallels Desktop 12.2.0-41591
    kali-linux-2017.1
    I have not noticed any mouse problems

11. RayPai

RayPai Bit poster

This issue can be resolve on PD 12.2.1-41615.

12. -Overlord-

-Overlord- Bit poster

Unfortunately doesn't work with 2017-06-21. After am upgrade from Kali (upgrade and dist-upgrade) I have the same issue here.

13. EmilioF

EmilioF Bit poster

I have the same issue:

• installation program asks if I want to install "printer-driver-postscript-hp" even though it's already installed.
    • installation fails, here is the log:
    Hit:1 http://repo.kali.org/kali kali-rolling InRelease
    Reading package lists...
    Return code from apt-get update is 0
    2017-08-16T16:19:24-0500: execCmd: ./installer/pm.sh --install gtools --logfile /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log [0]
    Started installation of Parallels Guest Tools version '12.2.1.41615'

Wed Aug 16 16:19:24 CDT 2017
    Start installation or upgrade of Guest Tools
    new version of parallels tools
    Installed Guest Tools were not found
    Perform installation into the /usr/lib/parallels-tools directory
    cat: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/../version: No such file or directory
    Start installation of prl_eth kernel module
    make: Entering directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    cd prl_eth/pvmnet && make
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    make -C /lib/modules/4.11.0-kali1-amd64/build M=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet
    make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.11.0-kali1-amd64'
    LD /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/built-in.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.o
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1 modules
    CC /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.ko
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.11.0-kali1-amd64'
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    cd prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg && make
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    make -C /lib/modules/4.11.0-kali1-amd64/build SUBDIRS=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg SRCROOT=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg modules
    make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.11.0-kali1-amd64'
    grep: /lib/modules/4.11.0-kali1-amd64/build/include/linux/completion.h: No such file or directory
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o
    In file included from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:38:0:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_compat.h: In function 'wait_for_completion_interruptible':
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_compat.h:137:8: error: implicit declaration of function 'signal_pending' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
    if (signal_pending(current)) {
    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.11.0-kali1-common/scripts/Makefile.build:299: recipe for target '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o' failed
    make[5]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o] Error 1
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.11.0-kali1-common/Makefile:1509: recipe for target '_module_/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg' failed
    make[4]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg] Error 2
    Makefile:152: recipe for target 'sub-make' failed
    make[3]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
    Makefile:8: recipe for target 'all' failed
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.11.0-kali1-amd64'
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/Makefile.v26:23: recipe for target 'prl_tg' failed
    make[1]: *** [prl_tg] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    Makefile.kmods:34: recipe for target 'installme' failed
    make: *** [installme] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    Error: could not build kernel modules
    Error: failed to install kernel modules
    2017-08-16T16:19:27-0500: execCmd: ./install --install [143]
    2017-08-16T16:19:27-0500: Error: An error occurred when installing Parallels Tools. Please go to /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information.
    2017-08-16T16:19:58-0500: Exiting with code 1

14. DamienS1

DamienS1 Bit poster

This must be a current version issue with the latest Parallels or Kali. I have installed the Parallels tools many times in the past using the recommendation provided on this and other threads; but I am stuck as well with install printer-driver-postscript-hp even though I'm at the latest version.

15. -Overlord-

-Overlord- Bit poster

I have an backup from June 2017 of my Kali- an without changing the Parallels version or installing new Parallels tools - some updates from Kali destroy the Gnome Desktop. I can't figure out which one at the moment, because after round about 3 months there are a lot updates.

But it's associated with new Kali packages.

16. DamienS1

DamienS1 Bit poster

Well folks...I finally got Parallels Tools to install on Kali 2017 after over 10 tries. I was running into the same printer-driver-postscript-hp issue that everyone else has for the longest time. The ONLY thing I can think of I did differently this time was to choose how big I wanted to make the partitions of the Kali OS during install (home...var...swap...etc.) instead of allowing the installer to dictate for me....and I didn't specify anything different than what was recommended. Either that was the answer or I had to wait to install after the eclipse to do the install :)

17. GrimL

GrimL Bit poster

any news on this? same problem here BUMP

18. Oliver7

Oliver7 Bit poster

I got Parallels Tools version 12.2.1.41615 installed successfully on Linux Kernel 4.13.0 (Kali Linux 2017.2) using this command than install Parallel Tools normally:
    # ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-1-common/include/linux /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include/

Was also receiving the same error log file as the posts above prior to running the ln command.

I found the solution in another thread here: https://forum.parallels.com/threads...-12-2-1-for-guest-os-debian-9-stretch.341416/

Also, I still receive the same message that the "printer-driver-postscript-hp" package is missing during installation even though I confirmed it is installed. It'll continue to download and install successfully after continuing with the installation.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  19. jarront

jarront Bit poster

[QUOTE ="NinadD,post:803656,member:6647931"]我收到错误,要求安装linux-headers-4.3.0和printer-driver-postscript-hp(ref S3)
    但是我已经安装了printer-driver-postscript-hp(参考屏幕截图s4)
    我找不到linux-headers-4.3.0 ..而是我有linux-headers-4.4.0可用(参考屏幕截图s5)
    并且已经安装了linux-headers-4.4.0。(参见屏幕截图s6)
    我仍然得到错误(屏幕截图s1).. [/ QUOTE]

我,too

20. jarront

jarront Bit poster

Can you solve this problem? I have always been like this.