Number of Virtual Cores

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by IanD5, May 24, 2019.

1. IanD5

IanD5 Bit poster

Can someone please explain why this document (Last Reviewed Apr 16, 2019) https://kb.parallels.com/112091 suggests that I should use half the number (50%) of cores my Host CPU has for optimal performance and yet in the configuration window for my VM 6 cores is recommended (See attached file) which is the same number of cores as my host.

If anyone can please tell me which is the optimal setting it would be very much appreciated, as the Parallels website and Application seem to be providing conflicting information!

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  2. DashtonP

DashtonP Member

Hi Ian,
    I have a 4 core (8 thread) i5 Macbook pro, and I have set the VM to use all 8 threads and it has still been fine for me, macOS still seemed to work fine and so did the VM. But just know that windows will then have access to all those 8 threads as well so if you're using something thats very CPU intensive in windows you might also start noticing lag in mac as well.

As an example of what I do playing skyrim, since skyrim only utilizes 1-2 cores I only give the VM 2 cores and thus there is no possibility of the Windows VM to cause my macOS to lag even while playing the game (since 6 are only available in macOS). I guess a different way of putting this is that giving a VM access to all 8 of my threads doesnt mean only the VM now has access to those 8 threads, it instead means that both macOS and the VM are sharing those threads.