Coherence windows not coming to front on click (5160)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by t@onecreative.net, Sep 12, 2007.

1. nikn

nikn Bit poster

Possible workaround

Hi there - I'm experiencing the same problem as of 5160 (OS X 10.4.10, WinXP SP2, 5160 Parallels tools installed).

A (fairly poor) workaround is to go to the Parallels icon in the dock, and select Hide, and then select Show. This brings the XP windows to the front.

Incidentally, I don't see any difference when I select "group all windows together" in Coherence.

Cheers -- Nik

2. mglish

mglish Junior Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

3. mglish

mglish Junior Member

I find that after a Mac reboot that the problem goes away. Then it comes back. I have checked the "group all windows together" option. I also routinely use my laptop monitor and an external monitor in non-mirrored mode. Don't know if that makes a difference or not...

4. pwais

pwais Bit poster

I am also having trouble with this one.

The "group all coherence windows" also only works about 10% of the time for me. If it would be helpful to generate a bunch of test cases where it fails, I could try to do that, but the failure seems rather sporadic so it might take somebody who can look at the code to figure this thing out. Also, if I try to minimize & maximize a window in the guest OS in order to focus the window, the window goes to the dock and then comes back behind everything else as if it's z-order never changed. It used to be that sometimes I could resize the hidden window by dragging the window border, it would focus the window after a few seconds; this only causes the window to refocus about 70% of the time though.

Host: Mac OS X 10.4.10, quad 3ghz Mac Pro, 4gb RAM
    Guest: Windows XP Pro version 2002 SP2, 1.22gb RAM, Coherence on 2nd monitor only of a dual monitor setup.

-Paul

5. wilf

wilf Bit poster

This makes no difference for me either...

Has there been any progress on this and/or is it acknowledged as a known issue?

wilf

6. pwais

pwais Bit poster

yes, a fix to this issue would be extremely helpful

currently I find that right clicking on the menubar of the non-focusing guest OS window focuses it; this is OK for now, but it would be much more elegant to be able to use coherence as intended

7. pwais

pwais Bit poster

build 3106b3 on mac mini OS X 10.4.10 and _single monitor_ not seeing any coherence focusing issues while performing the same tasks that motivated my previous bug report

8. pwais

pwais Bit poster

davehartstein writes:

9. wilf

wilf Bit poster

Still happening here on 5580, none of the 'fixes' or workarounds do anything.

I tried uninstalling Parallels, re-installing adding a new VM but still this annoying coherence bug. The only way I can stop it is to re-install 4560.

Anyone else still experiencing problems, or have any ideas of what I can try?

wilf

10. stahly

stahly Member

still a problem

I've tried the only fix mentioned above which was to re-install tools, but to no avail. This thread was started over 2 months ago and still no work from Parallells support on a fix? C'mon guys please...!

11. wilf

wilf Bit poster

any official word on this?

12. stahly

stahly Member

Hello Parallels!?

Can someone please look into this. I have re-installed tools 3 times, rebooted, etc, etc to no avail. I still have the same fundamental problem with a nuance: It seems to work when I first load the VM but as soon as I say start up Safari and go to that window, when I want to get back to a VM window it doesn't bring it to the front- I have to first close the Safari window before getting back to my VM.

This is very very frustrating and never happened before I upgraded.

PLEASE POST A SOLUTION!!

13. stahly

stahly Member

MAC OS 10.4.11, VM bld 5582. Win XP Prof SP2. Same prob as prior build- in coherence or windowed view, cannot toggle btwn a VM window and MAC window even with 'group windows' on, reloading tools, etc, etc. It does work when I close/re-load the VM but stops after a few hours....could it be memory related?? I have 4GB on my MAC, and 1GB dedicated to VM...I've changed NOTHING since Build 4xxx. This problem only started to occur in Builds 5xxx. Good news is i'm no longer getting the video memory error from last build.

14. SamT

SamT Bit poster

Count me in as having problems in build 5582. This is pretty bad. We need a fix to this and we shouldn't have to wait until the next official release. There should be a hotfix released.

Sam

15. Patrick Casey

Patrick Casey Bit poster

Still a problem in 5582

Guys, this has been utterly broken for two full releases now.

If you can't replicate it, I'm more than happy to help you replicate it (as, I'm sure are most of the rest of us on this thread).

If you're not going to fix it, please, own up to that fact.

Please, stop working on making the latest direct-x game work properly, and spend a little bit of time on this core feature that many of your business users want.

Because, I'll let you in on a secret:

Gamers are going to buy Lepherd and bootcamp into XP for their games anyway.

16. Greensauce

Greensauce Member

I just started a thread about this I didn't see this one,
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=18647

but I am in the same boat as all of you. a workaround i found (for temp use) is if you wanted to click on one of the windows in coherence click on the title bar and drag up quickly and let go, you'll breifly see the OS X green bubble with the plus sign in it and that will bring that window to the front. But I also am hoping this is fixed soon. It is very frustrating.

17. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Thank you for your reports. QA Team has reproduced the issue and developers are working now to fix it. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best regards,
    Xenos

18. mweholt

mweholt Bit poster

I say: "Hear, hear."

You know, it may be unfair, but, yeah, I get the definite feeling too much time is being spent on games and not enough time is being spent getting this thing solid again.

I think it's great that people can play cool games in Parallels, but personally I don't give a hoot about them. I want this thing to be solid and not work in very inconsistent and therefore very confusing and frustrating ways.

Patrick is right on. Please stop, take a deep breath, devote yourselves in the next release to making this thing rock solid for us non-game users. It's getting harder and harder to take this program, with so much potential, seriously. It's a d*mn shame. When I first started with Parallels I was *so* impressed. Please, your customers are begging you, get it back. Please get it back before you start hemorrhaging users.

19. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Mweholt and Patrick, thank you for your remarks. We do take them into account and we are working seriously to improve our Development, QA and Support processes.
    I hope we will be able to meet more of your expectations soon.

With best wishes for a Happy New Year,
    Xenos

20. Greensauce

Greensauce Member

to anyone who i espcially bothered by this problem:

Just revert back to build 4560, the improvments over the last two builds aren't worth the hassle they cause. I just reverted back and everything works just fine like it used to.

No offence at all to anyone on the Parallels team, I am very greatful for everything you guys have done, but like whats been said I don't care about game and DX9 support right now. I just want the basic functions and features of Parallels to run smoothly without hassle, and build 4560 is more stable than the 5xxx ones.