Parallels Tools Failed to Install on RHEL 8

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Granville, May 15, 2019.

1. Granville

Granville Junior Member

Upton the release of the latest Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8, I installed it on my Parallels Desktop Pro Edition 14.1.3. However the Parallels Tools failed to install on the guest RHEL 8, with apparently compilation errors:

make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    make -C /lib/modules/4.18.0-80.el8.x86_64/build M=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet CC=cc
    make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/kernels/4.18.0-80.el8.x86_64'
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.o
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.c:420:3: error: 'const struct net_device_ops' has no member named 'extended'
    .extended.ndo_change_mtu = eth_change_mtu,
    ^~~~~~~~
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.c:420:29: error: initialization of 'int (*)(struct net_device *, void *)' from incompatible pointer type 'int (*)(struct net_device *, int)' [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
    .extended.ndo_change_mtu = eth_change_mtu,
    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.c:420:29: note: (near initialization for 'pvmnet_netdev_ops.ndo_set_mac_address')
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors

So the next thing is to wait for Parallels Tools to upgrade.

2. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

In your case, try to locate the previous version of tools (e.g. 14.1.2) -- Parallels made a mistake (I think) and dropped support for kernels less than 4.20 in their latest release of Parallels Tools :)

3. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

You just need to find the Parallels Tools ISO from 14.1.2 -- there were no interface changes for the host-to-guest interface so any older tools in the 14.x that compile on your distribution will work.

4. Granville

Granville Junior Member

Thank you @GalaxyMaster! I will try that. And also hope this regression bug will be fixed in next update of Parallels Desktop.

5. Granville

Granville Junior Member

There seems no way to download previous versions of Parallels Desktop at the official Parallels website, even after I signed into my Parallels account! Sigh