High CPU usage on disk access since update to Mojave 10.14.4 ?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PatrickC11, Mar 27, 2019.

1. KendallB

KendallB Member

Yeah dunno if this is an Apple problem or a Parallels one, but Parallels support is useless as always. This is all I got for my support request:

Hello Kendall,
    Thank you for contacting Parallels Support.
    We understand that you were experiencing low performance on Windows virtual machine.
    And after changing the hypervisor to Apple fixed the issue.
    If the issue re-occurs please reply us to this email for further assistance.
    We appreciate your time and patience.
    I guess I fixed it myself! lol. When I pointed out that it would come back when I went back to the Parallels hypervisor they then asked me to generate technical reports for both with and without the parallels hypervisor on (not sure that would make any difference!). I already had a technical report in my original email.

2. ChristianW8

ChristianW8 Member

Hi guys,
    as I said earlier already, I opened a ticket with that problem already two months ago (I had participated in the Apple beta program and had access to the beta versions of Mac OS Mojave). I opened a ticket and sent technical information to Parallels. In the beginning they contacted me and we did some digging around in order to investigate on it. The last technical report I sent on 28.02.2019 and they said they forwarded it to the Developer Team:

We forwarded it to Development team and hopefully it will speed up the investigation of the issue.

Once we have an update from them - whether it is request for additional information, a workaround or a permanent fix - we will reopen current ticket or create a new one to inform you.

Well, since then I am waiting for an answer or anything. I let my comments in the ticket and wrote emails to them asking my money back because as it is now it is not usable.

I would suggest to open as well tickets and complain about it. Maybe this helps. I do not know what else we can do.

MarcelloR likes this.
  3. KendallB

KendallB Member

Yeah they told me when I reported it that it was going to be sent to the dev team after I bitched them out about the ridiculous response they sent me. I also asked a week ago if there were any updates and all they did is ask for another technical report. WTF.

I cannot imagine this is very hard to reproduce.

IgorP2 and MarcelloR like this.
  4. RonaldC3

RonaldC3 Bit poster

I had the exact same symptoms (2018 MBP i9) and switching to the Apple hypervisor has helped tremendously.

5. Julian1

Julian1 Junior Member

I still have the problem that parallels will not mount an USB SSD drive (with bitlocker) for many minutes. I can select it under "Devices" and then wait. And wait.
    It takes at least 10 minutes to show up. I think those problems are all connected.

ChristianW8 likes this.
  6. diamondsoftware

diamondsoftware Bit poster

Hi,
    Same problem here , I tried to change to Apple Hypervisor , then the boot is faster but when I arrive on the windows desktop, Parallels use full power for 1 or minutes
    Crazy, it drain the battery.... Grrrrrrrrr

7. ChristianW8

ChristianW8 Member

Yes, that is exactly what I am observing since months. I need to connect many times a USB device during the whole day and it usually takes 10 minutes up to half an hour until it appears. I already reported to Parallels support but it seems they do not care about this bug. What can we do to force them to work on this bug?

8. sfiske

sfiske Bit poster

This issue is doing my head in. I am not having a issue on my MacBook Pro but the MacPro running the same Parallels version 14 and OS 10.14.4 is stuffed, Parallels is unusable, I have just downloaded VirtualBox and setting up in that for now. Support just don't seem to understand the issue.

IgorP2 likes this.
  9. ChristianW8

ChristianW8 Member

I think Parallels stopped support completely since they were bought up by Corel. I do not get any answer from them since months.

10. Your issue has been reported to the Parallels Engineering team, and once we get any updates from them we will contacted your here or by email.

DennisH5 likes this.
  11. Jean-FrancoisC1

Jean-FrancoisC1 Bit poster

Any update or timeframe on this? I have the exact same issue and development with VS2019 has become a pain. I have switched to the Apple hypervisor as suggested, but performance is way under what it was and I encounter high CPU usage scenarios very often.

12. SergV

SergV Bit poster

I even cannot switch to Apple hypervisor since it does not support nested virtualization and i have to use VS2017 + Docker for Windows for some projects :(
    It's basically so unusable that i had to convert my windows gaming desktop into dev machine temporary.

PS.
    It seems that the problem is in Parallels Hypervisor. I've tested with clean Windows 10 Pro installation.
    As soon as i turn off "Enabled Nested Virtualization" VM load and performance is much better.
    As soon as i switch to Apple hypervisor it is even better, but still not as good as before updating OSX and Parallels 14 couple of month ago.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  13. sfiske

sfiske Bit poster

I have tried everything to get this running properly on my MacPro and have given up, still work well on my MacBook Pro.
    is this a Xeon issue? no, others with i5's and i7's are having the same issue. Is it a AFPS issue? No, both my computers run APFS
    I had no issues with it running the OSX 10.14 Beta. It was only when I upgraded to 10.14.4 it all went to poop.. My guess is Apple changed something in the update that has caused certain machines to perform bad with Parallels, it is now unto Parallels to figure out what that is and resolve it.. I am happy for the developers to remote into my computer to see if they can find what the issue is. Parallels support this is a open invitation for you to look at my computer. I have not tried going back to Windows 7 for testing but it is Windows 10 and Mac OS 10.14.4 that seem to have issues with Parallels. I hope that Parallels will extend my Subscription once this is fixed as it is 100% unusable.

14. ChristianW8

ChristianW8 Member

Almost two weeks passed since they reported my issue to the Parallels Engineering team and nothing happened. Nobody contacted me and nobody provided any solution. We are now at day 90 after I reported the issue to the Parallels team for the first time. 90 days since I sent technical data to them and nothing happened.
    If they wanted they could have solved this very fast. Has anybody any idea what is going on with Parallels?
    I am close to switch to Vmware...

15. ChristianW8

ChristianW8 Member

Hi all, are there any news regarding this issue?

16. Hey, I've checked your support ticket and Engineering team request, and it still under investigation.
    We will contact you here or by email once we get any updates.

17. IgorP2

IgorP2 Junior Member

It looks like i have the same issue. Windows is almost unusable with Parallels hypervisor and macOS 10.14.4. I have written to support and provided technical info to them. I was advised to change settings from my VM. I tried different tricks, changed settings, changed numbers of CPU and memory. Nothing works. The only solution is to use Apple hypervisor instead of Parallels. Windows works better but performance is far from where it used to be before macOS update. I also tried to update to macOS 10.14.5 and issue is still there. So i am stuck on macOS 10.14.3. Everything is smooth with Parallels hypervisor on this version.

ChristianW8 likes this.
  18. ChristianW8

ChristianW8 Member

So to summarise, they are not capable of debugging this since months and the only solution is to downgrade to 10.14.3 or to switch to Vmware...

19. AlexA2

AlexA2 Member

Lately I've been getting CPU usage spikes since the last Parallels update. The culprits are RuntimeBroker.exe & Service Host: Remote Procedure Call(2).

20. Julian1

Julian1 Junior Member

Unfortunately this problem is still there.
    Starting the VM takes minutes - shutting down too.
    I don't even try anymore to include a USB drive into the VM, that was terrible. I am now using a virtual drive using Vera Crypt instead which works.
    CPU is on 100% after starting the VM and after closing the VM, also for minutes.