Graphics on Clipboard won't copy to OS X on XP SP2

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Morrie, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Morrie

Morrie Junior Member

The clipboard synchronization seems to work fine for text, but graphics don't copy. Copying even a a few pixels of an image from Paint to the Mac doesn't copy anything. In fact, the previous clipboard contents ends up being pasted in the Mac. Is this a problem unique to XP (SP2)?

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Morrie,

What OS did you use before XP (SP2)? Can you copy graphics from Max to Windows?

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. Morrie

Morrie Junior Member

I can't paste graphics in either direction, but pasting text works in both directions. If I select both graphics and text, only the text is copied.

4. Morrie

Morrie Junior Member

Also, I forgot to mention: this is a brand new install of Parallels and Windows XP. I downloaded the trial version for the first time a couple of days ago and installed XP into it.

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

In fact, the Copy-Paste functionality in current version of VM allows to exchange text only. The exchange buffer size is limited to 1 Mb. Do you mean clipboard synchronization worked for graphics in the previous Parallels build you used?
    We are working at extending the copy-paste functionality to allow you to copy-paste texts, graphics and objects without any buffer limitation.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. Morrie

Morrie Junior Member

No, I never used Parallels before. This was my first try. The 1Mb restriction is certainly severe, as well as inability to paste graphics. I didn't see any mention of this limit in the documentation. Glad to hear you are working on extending that.

7. ReneS

ReneS Member

Confusing?

Hi,

A partial from parallels website:

Easy to Use
    Coherence lets you to run Windows programs just like native Mac applications! Now with Apple Exposé and Transparent Windows support.

Open Windows files with Mac apps and Mac files with Windows apps using Parallels SmartSelect.

Sync your Apple iPhone to your Windows virtual machine.

Drag-and-drop and copy-and-paste between OS X and Windows.

Windows Desktop, My Documents, and My Music now mirror the contents of your Mac’s Home Directory.

So.....

8. Morrie

Morrie Junior Member

Yes, I saw that statement. I was very excited to being able to do this with graphics, as that was only of my main interests in the product. I guess it was my mistake to take that statement literally.

9. Morrie

Morrie Junior Member

I should add a positive note: I just came to the realization that my major need to copy/paste graphics is for copying Windows screen shots to my Mac. It suddenly occurred to me I can just use OS X Grab for that. Once the image is in Grab, copy/paste to other Mac applications works, of course. So, it's just a few extra keystrokes compared to a direct copy/paste -- not a major issue for me anymore.

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Although there is a copy-and-paste restriction for graphics, you have no limitations for drag-and-dropping any files between OS X and Windows.

Best regards,
    Xenos