Login/Unlock causes DUPLICATE programs

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jegillick, Oct 17, 2007.

1. jegillick

jegillick Member

I use Windows XP in Coherence mode and the system is setup to lock the screen after 15 minutes without activity. When I unlock the screen (login) sometimes I'm presented with each of my apps being opened a second time. So I'll have 2 instances of Outlook, Excel, Explorer and/or anything else I already had opened. Does anybody know why this happens and how to prevent it?

In some cases I'm unlock the screen and be presented with 3 - 5 duplicates of EACH program. This is becoming a huge nuisance.

Unfortunately I also cannot turn off the setting that locks the screen after 15 minutes. This is my work computer and that was set by IT. Anybody know how to circumvent that restriction?

Thanks!

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hack the domain. :p

I would recommend talking to the IT guys about it and have them set up an exception for you.

3. jegillick

jegillick Member

IT wont budge. How do I hack the domain?

Also, does anybody know why the applications become duplicated after unlocking my computer?

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello jegillick,

When you leave your computer for more than 15 min, in your Parallels Desktop menu choose "Actions" -> "Suspend". Your applications shouldn't double when your login next time.

Or talk to the IT guys :)

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. jegillick

jegillick Member

Neither of these sound like real solutions (correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't always know if I will be gone for 15 minutes, and I shouldn't have to take the extra action to suspend it. Then when I return I'll have to launch it again and wait for it to restore. Sometimes it's simply because I'm not working IN parallels. I'll be working on stuff on the Mac side and after 15 minutes Windows will lock the screen.

IT will not remove the screen locking restriction. Furthermore, Parallels should not be duplicating programs, should it? Do I really need to go out of my way to prevent it from doing this? Is this a known problem, or unique to my system?

I'm looking for real help since this is a very frustrating situation.

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I was mainly being sarcastic, do you think that if I know how to hack a domain I would be giving information on how to do it on a Parallels support forum?

Anyways, have you tried pausing the VM when you leave?

But Parallels, how about addressing the root of the issue? Duplicating apps.

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

jegillick, when your Windows screen is locked, can you see the open applications' icons on the dock?
    Could you also let me know how your screen is getting locked? What program makes this? Is it possible to get the screenshot?

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  8. jegillick

jegillick Member

The computer is automatically locked after 15 minutes per the screen saver settings ("On resume, password protect" -- see attachment). As you'll see, I cannot change this setting since it has been locked by IT.

When the screen is locked all the application icons are removed from the dock. When I log back in the application icons reappear.

Attached Files:

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

jegillick, unfortunately in your case we can not offer you any solutions. Generally Screen Saver option is not provided for Coherence mode. The problem is activated by your IT support settings. I have noted our developers of the issue. Parallels are working hard to fix it in the future version. We are really sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best regards,
    Xenos