PD frozen, and I can't shut it down.

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by abrasha, Jul 3, 2019.

1. abrasha

abrasha Member

While using Quicken in Windows XP (which I have been doing flawlessly for many years) on my Mac running High Sierra everything suddenly froze. I can not quit Quicken, and I can also not shut down Windows XP. When I do a Force Quit for PD, and then restart it, the Windows XP comes back up in Suspended mode, and Quicken still shows in the bottom bar. So I am back to where I started. Clicking on the Windows Start button or any of the program buttons, also does nothing.

When I shut down and reboot the computer, the same thing happens. When I restart the computer I and then Parallels, Windows XP is still in Suspended mode.

I have the latest version of PD

Please help.

2. evan1138

evan1138 Bit poster

Same sad story as abrasha with XP and a program (Solidworks) that I have used for at least 10 years under parallels. I have tried different approaches and permutations, settings, configs, etc etc. to get the XP VM to shut down the SW app as well as doing a full shutdown of XP and every single time SW comes up in the same frozen spot.

One possible clue: My XP vm shows very close to out of memory, which I also can't adjust from parallels config etc, and since XP comes up frozen every time I can't delete anything. Mac has lots of memory.

Also can't seems to download parallels tools again, wait for it... XP is frozen.

As an experiment, on this same machine, right now, under parallels, I am also running win 10, win 7 64 and win 7 32 with apps running in each normally.

Here's some possible help: This screen seems to show that the XP drive has been alloted 13.39 GB. However...

frozen xp image 1.png

This screen seems to show the virtual drive assigned 64GB.

frozen xp 2.png

This is easily the worst parallels bug I've ever seen.

Evan

3. abrasha

abrasha Member

I have found the solution to successfully shut down Parallels Desktop as well as Windows XP to be able to restart the virtual machine, and get back to work.

On your Mac go to Launchpad and open Activity Monitor. Or go to Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor.
    Then under the column Process Name highlight Parallels Desktop and click the icon in the top left corner with the X in it to shut it down. If you see anything with Windows XP in the Process Name column you can do the same thing.

This cleared it up for me.

richardb36 likes this.
  4. abrasha

abrasha Member

I forgot to mention that after shutting down PD successfully I was also able to download Parallels Tools.

Maria@Parallels and richardb36 like this.
  5. richardb36

richardb36 Bit poster

Lifesaver.

Maria@Parallels likes this.