Can't open Windows 10 - stuck on spinning device

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tblack, Jul 21, 2019.

1. tblack

tblack Member

I have a significant issue with trying to open my Windows 10 VM. When I click on the Parallels desktop icon in the dock, I get the usual large window asking me to click to open windows 10, but then all that happens is that I get the "starting' window with the big spinning device, and windows 10 never opens. I don't mean the mac coloured beach ball, I mean the large spinning cog device that comes up in Parallels desktop window (thumbnail).
    Then, sometimes I can shut down Parallels desktop but when I try to start it again I get another start window, but nothing happens (thumbnail). Then, I can't quit Parallels desktop without force quitting it. That makes my whole MacBook Pro unstable, including the Mac OS - the whole computer slows down badly and never properly shuts down (I just get the small apple spinning cog - not the beach ball, the small spinning cog device). I then have to hard shut down the Mac. This also seems to cause instability in the Mac OS when I boot up again.
    This can only be remedied by booting the MBP in safe mode, and/or running first aid in disk utility, which seems to restore everything OK, until I try to run Parallels again - and the whole sorry saga is repeated.
    Windows is unfortunately an essential business tool for me because I need to run Dragon. But my Windows 10/Parallels desktop installation is currently unuseable. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
    Running OS 10.14.5. Parallels desktop 14.1.3. All Windows updates are installed.

Tom

Screenshot 2.png Screenshot 1.png

darwin@perkinsfam.us likes this.
  2. SotharaL

SotharaL Bit poster

I have the same issue, the spinning devise still running and the mac is freezing... What happened to parallel desktop...

LukasV1 likes this.
  3. Guys, please reproduce this issue and generate the problem report using this KB article.
    Please reply us back with the report ID.

4. tblack

tblack Member

Thanks Marla, I have sent a report with detailed logging. The report ID is 31806 9061
    Your help to solve this would be greatly appreciated. The VM won't open and is making the whole Mac OS unstable.
    Tom

5. BarryB3

BarryB3 Bit poster

Having this problem too all of a sudden today

6. Hi, please also generate the tech report and reply us back with report's ID. Please generate this report right after that issue reproduced.

7. Thanks a lot for your response.
    I've provided Parallels Engineering Team with your report and once we get any updates we will contact you imediatelly.

8. BarryB3

BarryB3 Bit poster

Hello Maria, I was able to get past the Parallels wait screen and actually boot into Windows. I do not have a solid repro or root cause isolated but here are a few facts that might help isolate the problem:
    1. MacOS 10.14.4, 32GB RAM, late 2014 iMac 5K; Win 10 1803
    2. Was not doing anything in Windows at the time
    3. Power outage this morning; problem occurred thereafter
    4. After power returned MacOS launched without issue but Windows stuck on Parallels "starting" screen. Disk Utility reported errors; booted into Internet Recovery Mode to run the version of Disk Utility that actually repairs; ran it several times
    5. Also deleted all Time Machine local snapshots as that is known to cause disk corruption
    6. Finally was able to get Disk Utility to show no errors on the disk
    7. Relaunched Windows and was again stuck on the Parallels "starting" screen
    8. HOWEVER after approx 30 minutes or so it booted
    Possibly Windows was running CHKDSK all that time?
    Not all issues resolved and some strange behavior remains -- Windows still very slow and Task Manager oddly launches but does not display any text.

9. tblack

tblack Member

Hello Maria,

following BarryB3's post, I also tried just leaving the revolving wheel going. I went out and left the computer for several hours. when I returned, Windows 10 had started. I opened Dragon (the only reason I run wiondows) and dictated for 30 minutes. Everything worked perfectly, no delays. I then shut down and restarted several times. There were no delays in Windows or the Mac OS, no instability in the Mac OS and everything is working fine.
    So the problem seems to have disappeared completely, at least for now. Hopefully it won't come back.
    It's a mystery.
    I understand that it hasn't worked out so well for BarryB3 who is still having delay issues. But I would recommend to anyone with the same problem - just leave the computer alone for a while and wait for Windows to start. It might work.
    I would still welcome any solution/explanation, in case the problem returns.
    Tom

10. BarryB3

BarryB3 Bit poster

Yes, I'll add one other symptom. I run Visual Studio in Windows and do some compute- and memory-intensive debugging. Every once in a while -- completely unpredictable -- the entire computer will lock up for 1-2 minutes. This often happens when I am launching the debugger (I usually switch back to MacOS while I'm waiting). Eventually it recovers and all's (more or less) well. The only thing that keeps running is the YouTube music I'm listening to in the background :).

11. tblack

tblack Member

I get Windows freezes every so often but I've learnt to live with those.

12. tblack

tblack Member

Hello Maria,

unfortunately the problem I described above is back, as bad as ever.

Windows 10 is completely unusable. I just get the rotating device endlessly on attempting to boot the VM. It makes the whole Mac OS unstable and the Mac can only be rebooted with a hard shutdown. In other words, exactly the same problem as before.

I do not have the luxury of waiting for an hour for the VM to boot, and hope that it stays OK for a few days.

I have been a loyal Parallels user for over 10 years but at the moment it is useless.

13. UlfS1

UlfS1 Bit poster

I agree. It's useless now. I have stopped trying to use it with Windows 10, waiting for an update.
    As my MacBook Pro hangs, I can not produce any other feedback.
    I have the latest PD and also the latest Windows 10 (as per some weeks ago).

14. Saqib2

Saqib2 Bit poster

I have the same issue with Parallels not starting and stuck on spinning wheel. This happened simultaneously on THREE of my Macs which were running fine till they were shut down and restarted a few hours later. (no MacOS software update or other configuration changes took place). I have submitted a technical report ID: 318566760
    Would appreciate any help since I need to access my virtual machines by tomorrow... thanks

15. Saqib2

Saqib2 Bit poster

I have temporarily "solved" my spinning wheel issue by disconnecting my laptop from the internet by turning off wifi and then launching the Parallels app. Parallels Desktop then starts up normally. I then turn wifi on once Parallels as started up. Obviously not a permanent solution. Have requested help from tech support. Lets see...

16. tblack

tblack Member

FWIW, I have now got Windows 10 working again for 24 hours.
    What I did was:
    I opened Parallels, clicked on the VM arrow and let the rotating cog spin for 2 hours (!!!) which is how long it took for the VM to boot up. Then, while the VM seemed to be working, I checked Windows update. The screen said that all updates had been installed and Windows was up to date.
    However, when I clicked on "check for updates", it turned out there was one update to be installed for Windows 10 1903: update 7/2019. So while the VM was all working OK I installed this update.
    This was yesterday and since then I have started and restarted thew VM numerous times and it is still working.
    How long this will last I don't know. I did get the VM working again previously, but it didn't last (see my post above). But if you have a couple of hours to spare, see if this works for you.
    Good luck.
    Tom

17. issakimL

issakimL Bit poster

This is a tricky problem.

18. SotharaL

SotharaL Bit poster

Please find my report id : 318923642
    Version 14 is not good with Windows 10, keep freezing...

19. tblack

tblack Member

My VM is still working OK and booting at normal speed after 3 days.
    I don't exactly know why it's now working but - try doing what I did (see my post above).
    Try to boot W10 even if it takes two hours of watching the wheel spin. Then when it finally boots, immediately open Windows update. Even if it says all updates have been installed, ignore it and click on "check for updates". If anything comes up, install it quickly while it's all working!
    Tom

20. gkp By Design

gkp By Design Bit poster

Same, last two weeks it has be impossible to use for prolonged use. Can we have a fix or something to say why this is happening, I've already been in touch with the engineers but they were not helpful at all. I've even downgraded from 14, I can't get a tech Id either

Sam33 likes this.