Catalina can't connect to network

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JulsS, Jun 27, 2019.

1. JulsS

JulsS Member

I updated a Mojave VM to Catalina public beta. The Catalina VM can't connect to the Internet. I tried to uninstall/install Parallels tools but both the uninstall and the install hang at 100%, and the VM still can't connect to the network. Has anyone found a workaround?

juls

2. GregO1

GregO1 Bit poster

Best Answer
    Just flip your network connection between Shared and Default Adapter (or vice versa). It just seems to need a kick in the pants.

Maria@Parallels and JulsS like this.
  3. DinsyP

DinsyP Member

Me too. Incompatibility with Parallels Tools? Or a change in Catalina? Would love to report to Apple Beta programme but with no network a bit challenging:)

Andrew

4. GregO1

GregO1 Bit poster

Best Answer
    Just flip your network connection between Shared and Default Adapter (or vice versa). It just seems to need a kick in the pants.

Maria@Parallels and JulsS like this.
  5. KenV54

KenV54 Member

Yes. Same here. Latest version of Parallels. I've been able to connect to the Internet at times in the Catalina beta VM by fooling around with the Parallels configuration of the VM and the network settings in Catalina, but I don't really know how I did it, and as soon as I reboot the VM I have to start all over. Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 6.11.05 PM.png

6. DinsyP

DinsyP Member

Thanks Greg01. Flip the network setting while VM is running and away it went. Wonder if its Apple or Parallels...

7. KenV54

KenV54 Member

Flipping between Shared and Default Adapter works, although you have to do it each time the VM boots, or even if it goes into standby.
    So, it's not a big problem, since Catalina is in beta. It's probably just an interface issue between the beta 10.15 and this Parallels version--easy to fix, I'm sure.

8. JulsS

JulsS Member

Thank you Greg01. The workaround you posted solved my problem.

juls

9. JulsS

JulsS Member

Problem still exists using Catalina public beta 2.

juls

10. Then looking forward to your tech report ID. Please create it as mention above

11. JulsS

JulsS Member

Maria, I filed a tech report when I first posted to this forum.

juls

12. Frederic Puhan

Frederic Puhan Member

I have this same issue, but thanks to this forum, the solution works. However, I notice the Mac's networking menu bar icon never shows up. Before I report this to Apple, does anyone else have the same experience?

I just created the VM of the Catalina beta yesterday, and already it wants to update. So, I'm letting it do that, even though I think it's a false update. For the record, I'm using Parallels Desktop for Mac 14.1.3 (45485).

13. JulsS

JulsS Member

Do you mean the Wifi icon? upload_2019-7-19_15-28-45.png

That doesn't normally show up in within the menubar of guest VMs because the guest OS uses a virtual ethernet connection and not a wifi connection.

juls

14. Frederic Puhan

Frederic Puhan Member

Yeah, I realized that shortly after I typed it. I'm so used to using wi-fi on my Macs that it was a bit jarring to not see the menubar icon.
    The toggle solution works, though. Now, if I can only determine if "bugs" I'm experiencing in Catalina are truly Apple's or the interface between PDM (like Option-clicking on the Apple menu to shutdown without the dialog).

15. Rick M

Rick M Bit poster

I switched to Bridged over the same adapter that my host macOS 10.14.6 was using, and that seemed to let it connect.

16. MaxV2

MaxV2 Bit poster

Is there more permanent solution planned? Catalina is released, and I still face the issue. Flipping the network connection does help, however I have to do it with every boot. Which is a bit painful. Parallels Desktop 14.1.3 (45485)

17. JulsS

JulsS Member

Bug is fixed in Parallels 15.

18. MaxV2

MaxV2 Bit poster

Thanks. Are there plans to fix it in 14?

19. Tim14

Tim14 Bit poster

It is not fixed in the latest version of 15 and latest OS X. After reading many tech forums for parallels i can see their support team are on par with VMWare. That is not a compliment... If you want to use this app as a network/system admin this is much more than an inconvenience. It's simply not acceptable. If i had to spend 30 mins everyday stopping what im doing and using your 'workaround' that is lost time- nearly three hours each week. Just another average product with average support and documentation. Maria how about taking what people are telling you online as a ticket- be a little proactive and log and speak to dev teams to see what the root cause is (i dont care if apple or parallels) and come back to us with some progress. Honestly after reading your support techs back and forth they appear average, petty and uninterested in solutions.

I'll even give you a starting point- catalina sys prefs have at times loaded a usb lan adaptor for each time the mac wakes- this could be tied to the problems with parallels but ill leave the investigation to your techs....

20. Tim14

Tim14 Bit poster

for anyone still encountering this problem- a workaround ive found useful (while not ideal), is to disable sleep or extend for a longer period under energy saving settings. Seems to me to have something to do with the OS X/Parallels 15 (Version 15.1.2 (47123)) waking from sleep, often adding a new LAN or network config - though not always- then parallels running with the mac going to sleep. After this you need to change the network settings around until you can get it going again, usually followed quickly by another drop but this time the mac hasn't slept. Disabling sleep gets around these issues so far and lets you get things done. Still might be nice to have the vendor take some ownership of the issue, acknowledge it's a problem and provide an eta for an update. That would be weird though...

PhilipW6 likes this.