Can't open Windows 10 - stuck on spinning device

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tblack, Jul 21, 2019.

1. ZIMZ

ZIMZ Member

I opened Parallels, clicked on the VM arrow and let the rotating cog spin for 2 hours (!!!) which is how long it took for the VM to boot up. Then, while the VM seemed to be working, I checked Windows update. The screen said that all updates had been installed and Windows was up to date.

2. tblack

tblack Member

Did you actually click on the 'check for updates' box? I did so even though it said 'You're up to date'. When I clicked on the 'check for updates' box, it turned out there was another update that hadn't been installed!

Screenshot 2019-08-01 at 16.36.37.png

Attached Files:

3. tblack

tblack Member

OK, so I am a foolish optimist. The problem is back, as bad as ever.

After a few days of Windows 10 working OK, the big freeze has returned - the VM completely frozen and
    - Parallels desktop had to be force-quitted from the Mac OS;
    - the whole Mac OS became completely unstable and slow;
    - the Mac OS needed a hard shut down because you just get the endless spinning cog when trying to shut down the Mac OS;
    - on attempting to restart the VM, the whole process happened again.
    On top of the VM freezing, there is obviously a rogue process going on in Parallels which is not closing and is preventing the whole Mac from being shut down.

Parallels - DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS AND KEEP FAITH WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS.

4. tblack

tblack Member

Simple question for you Parallels - does Mojave work with PD 13?

5. tblack

tblack Member

Just a suggestion, but open PD 14, do not start the VM, go to configure in the PD drop down menu and open "CPU and memory".
    Make sure you haven't allocated all the available processors to the VM - I would suggest setting the "recommended" number (see pic attached).
    I have a four-core MacBook Pro. For some reason, the processor allocation in the CPU and Memory box was showing 4 processors allocated to the VM, ie all the processors. I understand that this can cause problems. Since switching to 2 (recommended) yesterday the problems have stopped No more roaring fans either.
    No guarantees but it's worth a try. Screenshot 2019-08-03 at 13.04.03.png

6. tblack

tblack Member

7. ZIMZ

ZIMZ Member

I opened Parallels, clicked on the VM arrow and let the rotating cog spin for 2 hours (!!!) which is how long it took for the VM to boot up. Then, while the VM seemed to be working, I checked Windows update. The screen said that all updates had been installed and Windows was up to date.

8. tblack

tblack Member

My last post on this topic I hope. I have been using the VM constantly since I reduced the cores from 4 to 2 in the CPU and memory drop down menu. It's still woking fine. I'm wondering whether PD 14 has a bug that defaults the cores to 4 when it is installed - I don't know, but this problem only started after I installed PD 14 in June, and reducing the cores to 2 seems to have fixed the problem.
    Make sure that all your cores are not being assigned to the VM.
    Good luck and good night.

9. l.jessie1268

l.jessie1268 Bit poster

Hi all,
    I facing problem after mac shut down improperly (out of battery). Since after I feel my mac keep freezing and need to do force shutdown. Worst is windows 10 on parallel desktop 12 not starting :( so i downloaded parallel desktop 15 for a try and it started but spinning wheel with message "checking disks after improper shutdown" keep spinning.. Should I continue waiting or force it to quit? :(
    Thanks.

[​IMG]

10. HenryH8

HenryH8 Bit poster

After installing version 15, I have the exact same problem with "Checking disks after improper shutdown", followed by the rainbow spinning wheel. The entire MacBook becomes unresponsive.

I cannot use the parallel windows 10 image anymore!! It stays on the "Checking disks after improper shutdown", with the occasional rainbow spinning wheel.

11. Please try the following and let us know how it works:
    1. Paste the command below into Terminal as is (do not hit Enter yet):

prl_disk_tool check --hdd

2. Find your virtual machine in Finder. Right-click on the .pvm file of your virtual machine and choose Show Package Contents
    3. Drag your WindowsXXX.hdd file into Terminal and drop it right next to prl_disk_tool check --hdd.
      So as result you will see something like this in Terminal window:

prl_disk_tool check --hdd /Users/appleseed/Documents/Parallels/Windows\ 7.pvm/Windows\ 7-0.hdd

Please note there should be a space between --hdd and /Users/....
    4. Press return and wait till this operation completes.
      Operation progress 100%

12. Avancandon

Avancandon Bit poster

O Parallels Desktop está normal, funcionando inclusive. As vezes é necessário desligar a área de trabalho do Parallels, quando reinicio está tudo bem. Acontece poucas vezes. Na verdade é muito raro. Consigo rodar outros sistemas operacionais. É magnífico ver meus vídeos, músicas, e fazer diversos trabalhos em plataformas diferentes.

13. GenevieveS1

GenevieveS1 Bit poster

After performing the above terminal command, my VM worked well for about 15 minutes, then froze up. I have tried restarting both Parallels and my Mac multiple times but cannot open VM and Mac is extremely slow. Should I reinstall? If so, what? Parallels?

14. ChevolD

ChevolD Bit poster

I have the same issue, after running terminal command there is no output. Should there be?

15. AviP

AviP Bit poster

For the last month i have parallels freeze and as a result the mac also freezes, the only way to get around this is hard shutdown and reboot, followed by parallels trying to boot for a long time and windows 10 is stuck for a very long time checking disks, yesterday it took it 4 hours to go up again.besides that, when working with visual studio 2015, every several minutes everything freezes, sometimes it becomes operational again, the other times i have to hard reboot again.

tried to uninstall and reinstall parallels, running on the latest version and i have the latest windows 10 version installed.

Can't continue working like this
    Generated report ID: 321610502

16. JeremyL5

JeremyL5 Bit poster

Same issue with Win 7 on Mojave. Is there a fix?

17. Thanks a lot for the detailed info and tech report.
    We've involved Parallels Engineering team in this case for the issue investigation. Once we get any updates we will contact you here or by email.

18. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

I have this exact same problem.

Upgraded to 15. Mac becomes EXTREMELY warm, totally unresponsive, spinning windows and my battery gets drained in 20 - 30 minutes. What's going on with this?

19. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

Can't edit my post: But on another note - I also can't continue working like this, as AvIP has mentioned. I've wasted an entire day of work on this problem.

I have to hard boot TWICE, otherwise "Starting Parallels" happens for what seems like infinite. I have 3 instances, and the other 2 windows work fine. It's just the one that happened on the crash that seems to be the issue.

20. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

I also ran terminal command, nothing happened.