Cannot resize hard disk due to disk configuration

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KarenR2, Jul 19, 2019.

1. KarenR2

KarenR2 Bit poster

My designated disk size is 192GB, but I'm not getting full use of it. Functionally, I only have 63GB for my Windows partition and my VM now will not save documents because it says it does not have enough free space.

The issue, as you can see on the attached screen shot, seems to be that I've got 128GB of unallocated space, but it doesn't have the magical quality of being next to the partition that I need to increase. Therefore, all attempts to increase the 63GB partition have failed. I have tried Disk Management in Windows. I have tried third-party tools.

Anybody got any help they can offer?

Attached Files:

2. KarenR2

KarenR2 Bit poster

Additional information: I reduced the size of the disk in two steps. First, I took it down to 128GB. It took the reduction from the unallocated space. Then I took it down the remaining 64GB (so the unallocated space would be zeroed out). I went back into Computer Management and got a permissions error. Not sure what that was about.

Went back into the Parallels Configuration and increased the hard disk size to 128GB. It added the additional space not to the Windows partition, but once again as unallocated space (see attached image).

How can I add space to the Windows partition instead of it getting assigned as unallocated? Windows is not letting me extend the Windows partition in Disk Management, because the unallocated space is not contiguous with the Windows partition.

Attached Files:

3. Abishek

Abishek Member

4. KarenR2

KarenR2 Bit poster

No, that solution doesn't work. Please look at the screen shot I attached to my original post. There is an OEM partition between the Windows partition and the unallocated space.