Kernel 5.0.3

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Mark Fine, Mar 26, 2019.

1. QuickBooks Enterprise Support

QuickBooks Enterprise Support Bit poster

Very Interesting and helpful Discussion

2. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

So far, still good under 5.1 too...

3. wingdo

wingdo Pro

I assume the fix won't be released until the next paid update.

ParaKitty likes this.
  4. projector

projector Bit poster

Not providing timely updates results in VMs not complying with institutional security requirements, as systems remain unpatched for months on end. This means the end of Parallels usage.

The subscription model says there will be update support. If not, then it starts sounding like refund time and/or class-action lawsuits for those with serious applications being damaged by inaction by the vendor.

5. ParaKitty

ParaKitty Member

All Parallels employees are on a long vacation in Fiji (apparently).

6. wingdo

wingdo Pro

Well, as a solution I have moved to VirtualBox 6.0.8 for Mac. It's not nearly as well integrated into MacOS, but at least I can use Fedora and OpenSUSE Tumbleweed again.

7. ParaKitty

ParaKitty Member

Just confirming that these instructions still work on Ubuntu 19.10 with Linux 5.2.0.8. If you find yourself doing this quite often, you might want to make an ISO with the edited files on it, so you have them available on the fresh install.

8. ShawnC4

ShawnC4 Member

As sad as this situation is and as much as I hate to say it, I would pay for a supported update to run modern Linux if that is what Parallels comes up with. Like others here, I've been limping along with variations of the workarounds posted in these forums and that's getting me by for now. I have also tried VMware Fusion and VirtualBox, and found them to be pretty terrible for one reason or another. At the end of the day, once a guest is running in Parallels it is the best experience available.
    It is troubling though to see the conspicuous lack of response from Parallels on these Linux guest issues. I hope you guys start paying attention and do something to earn the payments that you're getting from your customers.

ParaKitty likes this.
  9. projector

projector Bit poster

Did not notice at the time, but research finds Parallels was bought by "Corel" (seller of WordPerfect, etc.) last December.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/corel-buys-parallels-for-windows-on-mac-play/

"The plan for Corel is to combine its cross-platform software with Parallels applications and services to cover multiple platforms ranging from Windows to Mac to cloud to Raspberry Pi."

So it sounds like the idea is to have Parallels service Corel's concept, which is by definition different from the former purpose of Parallels. i.e., Parallels is to service Corel, not Corel service Parallels.

Then, earlier this month, "Corel" itself was sold to "KKR", an investment firm (Kohlberg, Kravis Roberts & Co.)

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/03/kkr-corel-vector-parallels/

... described as "managing multiple alternative asset classes, including energy, real estate and hedge funds".

Seems pretty chaotic and the events roughly correspond in time to Parallels support falling off the face of the Earth.

Acquisitions based on vague concepts and financial manipulations often seem to end up with the purchased assets (like Parallels) being destroyed because the people buying them are doing it based on vague concepts and financial manipulations. i.e., they might not actually know or care about Parallels specifically. At least not in the way the developers did. Also, the selling of Parallels that kicked it off could be the result of problematic inside knowledge by sellers that buyers with vague concepts and financial manipulations in mind were not aware of but discover in time.

Anyway, at least it can be said that its not unusual for a good product to be gratuitously blown up and trashed as a type of collateral damage, so not something to let be a surprise.

ParaKitty likes this.
  10. ParaKitty

ParaKitty Member

Aha! Thanks! So Parallels is dead, and we all need to go bug Dell, now, to make VMWare better. Good to know! I shall let my subscription lapse this December. Well, I mean, nobody will even be around to collect the new fee, right? ;)

11. wingdo

wingdo Pro

This really is a shame. For all the support issues over the years, PD was always to fastest and most stable virtualization software for the Mac. VB is working for me, but folder sharing is just idiotic, and way more work than it should be. There are multiple ways to share folders, and at least for me, I can squally only get one way working on a given distribution. Drag and drop is also sporadic as well. Finally, after running it for a long time, some VMs become stubbornly slow and quitting VB and starting it back up doesn't solve the issue. Only a full restart of my MBP works.

If anyone has a zip file of the work around for kernel 5.x please PM me. I'd like to see if I can get Tumbleweed back up and running in PD before my subscription expires.

12. JasonK13

JasonK13 Bit poster

Used this on Ubuntu 19.04 and works great.

13. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Fixes still work on 5.2

14. Adrian

Adrian Junior Member

This is now officially a joke ... no updates from Parallels for over a quarter ... its now August!!

PatrickJ likes this.
  15. viola

viola Hunter

Can anyone from the community scriptify the solution for clean and non error prone application?

PatrickJ likes this.
  16. IvanS3

IvanS3 Bit poster

Hello, how long have we got to wait for fix?

17. ParaKitty

ParaKitty Member

Good news! We've only got just a little over 327 years to go before an update!!! Sweet!!!

18. UlrichM

UlrichM Bit poster

I noticed that Parallels Desktop 15 is out. It comes with Parallels Tools for Linux which are able to build modules for 5.x Kernels. I just successfully installed them with an Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine without modifying the sources.
    And I don't see there is an urgent need to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 15 for this. I just downloaded the Trial dmg-image for Parallels Desktop 15
    https://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd15/?mode=trial (currently redirects to https://download.parallels.com/desktop/v15/15.0.0-46967/ParallelsDesktop-15.0.0-46967.dmg?mode=trial ). Then opened the dmg in Finder, but did not run the installation process. The dmg/image is now mounted in Finder and the Linux Parallels Tools iso can be found (and copied to a separate place) in "/Volumes/Parallels Desktop 15/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/Tools/" , the file is called prl-tools-lin.iso .
    I started my Ubuntu19.10 machine and manually mounted the prl-tools-lin.iso (Device --> CD/DVD1 --> Mount Image) and executed install .

I did this with my pretty old Paralles Desktop for Mac 11 Version, so this procedure might work with other PD-versions as well. And of course it should work for Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo with kernel 5.0 .

I found two drawbacks so far. First, everytime I start the Ubuntu VM I have to cancel Parallels Tools Upgrade. This is just a click and I dont care.
    The other one is much more nasty: With Paralles Tools installed Alt+Tab stops working within Ubuntu. I did not find a way yet to solve this (played with ShortCuts / System ShortCuts ...). Would really appriciate if someone comes up with a reliable solution to bring back Alt+Tab within the Ubuntu VM ...

Cheers, U.

ParaKitty and Mark Fine like this.
  19. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Upgraded to 15.0.0 with no issues so far.

ParaKitty likes this.
  20. ParaKitty

ParaKitty Member

Thanks for the heads-up! Nice of Parallels letting us know... It's great when customers help other customers more than the company does. /s