Kernel 5.0.3

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Mark Fine, Mar 26, 2019.

1. ShawnC4

ShawnC4 Member

I would also like to find a way to use alt-tab.
    I haven't updated to Parallels 15 yet (although it is a relief to see that they support modern Linux kernels ootb now), but I have the exact same issue with my Fedora 30 and Ubuntu 19.04 VMs running in Parallels 14.
    I played around with the Parallels keyboard shortcuts as well as Gnome keyboard mappings. Nothing made a difference. Another data point: alt-tab was working in the exact same VM when it was booting Fedora 29. I created the Ubuntu 19 VM brand new. Alt-tab _is_ working in my Ubuntu 18.04 VM.. So I assumed it had something to do with the Gnome update in the newer distros, but your experience suggests that it's more complicated than that. :(

-Shawn

2. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Errr... not so fast. Seems I've found a bug in Gnome where you can see the mouse cursor, but hovering and clicking doesn't seem to work except for the upper right area (user menu). Sometimes the area where it works will vary after resizing the VM window. So this could possibly be a mouse-screen registration bug in Tools, but just for Gnome? I've tried this in KDE/Plasma and some other desktop environments, but the problem only seems to happen in Gnome.

3. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

And today it's not happening at all... lol.

4. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

And now it is again. So it seems as if the cursor is not always registering properly to the Gnome desktop. Sub-windows (e.g., dropdown windows/menus) register fine, but not the main desktop. It's possible there's something amiss in Tools when it the Gnome desktop first resizes to the last known size...

5. wingdo

wingdo Pro

This has been an issue on VirtualBox as well. Try logging out, and choose Gnome on X11 at the login screen when you log back in.

6. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

So it seems the cursor only registers properly if you bounce between Gnome on Xorg and regular Gnome. If you start the same desktop, you get the cursor problem. I didn't have this until I went from Desktop 14 to Desktop 15, so I assumed it was a Tools thing. If it's happening on VBox then clearly it's purely a Gnome thing. This is so bizarre.

7. wingdo

wingdo Pro

I don't think it's purely a Gnome thing as VBox has no issues like this using X11. Wayland isn't as stable as X11 yet, and I don't use it on any systems at the moment. I am running PD 15 using OpenSUSE Gnome X11 and do not experience any cursor issues.

Perhaps try a fresh install of your OS in another VM and see if the issue remains. As a second test, you can always install a test VM of OpenSUSE Tumbleweed using Gnome, Tumbleweed always has the latest Gnome files and libraries, even before Fedora.

8. UlrichM

UlrichM Bit poster

Two different issues are being discussed: Cursor and Alt+Tab .
    I only suffer from missing Alt+Tab.
    We still don't know if its Tools or Gnome related. I use Ubuntu 19.10 (still status dev, to be released in Oct 2019) with Gnome 3.32.2 . Tried OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (also runs Gnome 3.32.2) with same behavior: As soon as Tools get installed, Alt+Tab stops working.
    I am running Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac with Parallels Tools for Version 15 .
    And I tend to say this issue is coming from Parallels Tools.

Could somebody be so kind to confirm that Alt+Tab IS working with PD15(!) and current Tools (15) for a recent Gnome-based VM (i.e. Ubuntu 18.10 or newer)?
    Thanks

9. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Work around for "Alt+Tab" issue - remove Parallels Tools Coherence plugin folder:
    rm -rf /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/coherence-gnome-shell@parallels.com

UlrichM and ParaKitty like this.
  10. UlrichM

UlrichM Bit poster

I can confirm this is working for my constellation (see above) as well as in OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.
    (though, it's a sudo rm -f /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensi ... and a logout/login after .)
    First i did not work for my account in Ubuntu, where I have other gnome extensions installed. I tried with a newly created temp user account and Alt+Tab worked immediately. So back in my account I played a bit with gnome-shell-extension-prefs command and "Alt+F2" and then r (restart gnome-shell) and voila I can now switch between windows with Alt+Tab ! Thank you Alexander Haltman .

11. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Getting back to the cursor registration thing... Not certain, but this may be due to problems with some unseen seLinux blocks on ldconfig.

12. ZIMZ

ZIMZ Member

Last year you took 36 days to release a fix for kernel 4.15 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. How long will it take this year?

13. ZIMZ

ZIMZ Member

Looking forward to get this fix. Every year, same story.

14. ZIMZ

ZIMZ Member

Last year you took filezilla uc browser rufus 36 days to release a fix for kernel 4.15 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. How long will it take this year?

15. Barrya4

Barrya4 Bit poster

After fedora 29 upgrades kernel 5.0.3-200.fc29.x86_64 vmmon and vmnet are not working properly, any solution ?

16. Barrya4

Barrya4 Bit poster

any update on my problem ?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2019
  17. DietrichL3

DietrichL3 Bit poster

Some things will never change? The LINUX community seems to be too small for PARALLELS, so they down prioritize this each time..? My solution to handling this is not to update the kernel..........