Additional space not available after resize in Parallels for Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by viola, Jul 23, 2019.

1. viola

viola Hunter

I'm having trouble with Windows 10. When I resize a drive it is not actually resizing. For example, if I have a drive that is 64 GB and is full, and then I resize to 128 GB, it does not show up in Windows 10 under File Explorer or elsewhere.

Furthermore if I do the instructions here https://www.parallels.com/blogs/resize-your-parallels-desktop-vm/ with the disk partition size forcing from cmd.exe it still does not resize. I am stuck with only 3 GB left and Windows 10 updates will not install and so forth.

Any other options here?

2. viola

viola Hunter

I should ad that I am running Parallels 14.1.3.

3. viola

viola Hunter

I have tried to remove 40GB of storage being used in this Windows 10 guest and then tried the operation again by changing the size slightly and it is still not working. Any more ideas @Parallels Team??????

4. kavyaM

kavyaM Hunter

5. AMCMO

AMCMO Member

I had same problem and the KB with partition Wizard worked!

6. viola

viola Hunter

@kavyaM@Parallels thank you for this suggestion, however it seems that if i do this it will break the ability to dynamically grow a drive. For example, if I have a 60gb virtual machine drive and i want to grow it to 140gb, if i do what you suggest and resize it to 140gb, won't that make the drive that size permanently and consume that much ACTUAL drive space? Furthermore won't it also disallow me from making it "growable" or resizable and expandable in the future? I guess i need to look into this more and try it to see what happens, i am just afraid i might cause some troubles for resize in future.

7. viola

viola Hunter

Also wanted to share that this is still broken in Parallels 15 :(

I did try what you said, but the article is no longer valid. There is no ISO available for Partition Wizard that I can find. Only some exe install file.

pmconaway likes this.
  8. Please reply with the screenshot of the Windows Disk Management screen to check and assist further.

9. pmconaway

pmconaway Member

When I went to the site linked in (https://kb.parallels.com/120250) It takes me to the Mini-tool Partition Wizard website. When I click on the Download Free version it downloads pw12-free.exe executable. There is no .ISO file that I can find. Also the KB120250 article doesn't have the same options I see in Parallels 15 on similar screens. I understand the instructions but they aren't correct anymore. Is anyone at Parallels support actually looking and testing this knowledge base article? I need Windows 10 to see an enlarged drive and I would like it to still be adjustable.

A side note I've adjusted the disk size with the slider in Parallels 15 Hard Disk Advanced properties but this doesn't do anything. It still shows a 64GB disk in windows which is the size I started with.

Paul