Does P15 Work any Better than P14?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GrantT2, Aug 13, 2019.

1. GrantT2

GrantT2 Junior Member

I am one of the many that have complained about the sluggishness of Parallels 14 when loaded on my Mac running Mojave. There has never been a real solution offered.

If you have problems with P14 has it been resolved with P15?

2. GrantT2

GrantT2 Junior Member

Great bot answer.

But how does this address my original question?

3. nanooq

nanooq Member

I'm afraid the Parallels Team doesn't (or doesn't want to since they have no solution) your point, even though there are already a good number of people that lost faith in PD since PD14. Just to see if it solves my problems (same as yours, Windows boot of about 5 minutes, Linux hangs of 2 minutes, slow response by either VM etc.) I tried the Trial version and I'm pretty disappointed.
    First of all, it doesn't solve the PD14 performance problems - not in booting, not in performance, not in Windows, not in Linux).
    Second, I couldn't recognize anything that would justify a major release (except that you have to pay ;)), looks more like a 14.x to me - which would also be in line with "yes, we kept the performance problems":(. I won't buy it and won't recommend PD anywhere, until they fixed the problems.

Mojave is out for some time now and they are not able to fix (understand?) it, I don't want to think about what will happen with PD when Catalina (?) is out...

4. Could you please share with us more info about the performance issue? Does the Parallels Desktop load slowly or you have Slow or freezing VM?

5. Also guys, could you please generate the tech.reports after the issue reproducing and reply us back with the report ID.
    We need a bit more info from you about the performance issue and the tech data to find the root cause of the issue.

6. nanooq

nanooq Member

I did, March 1st 2019, ID: 301155359, see Thread "Performance problems in Windows 10 after upgrade to v14".
    No reaction.

7. Frederic Puhan

Frederic Puhan Member

Well, here's my answer to the original question: I run PDM on three Macs. Two of them are running Mojave, and the program works, although Parallels Toolbox has gone bonkers on both. On my Sierra (10.12.6) Mac, I'm about to downgrade to 14, since it hosed my MX Linux VM, and the update of Parallel Tools is currently hung at 49% on a BunsenLabs Linux. A fresh install of MX Linux failed, also. It seems the video driver software has changed, as when MX Linux boots, it hangs on a blank screen before it shows the desktop. Just hangs.

The new features of 15 don't add any value to me. I'm not a "power" user or run a business on my virtual machines, so other than the irritation of having to start all over again after downgrading, it hasn't cost me anything but time. Still, if I weren't on a subscription, I'd probably have waited before upgrading. I think it won't be long before there are updates, since I don't consider it "stable" at this point.

8. SimonM8

SimonM8 Bit poster

Have found V15 to be a lot slower using Visual Studio and Chrome.
    Graphics particularly in Chrome are jumpy and not smooth as per V14.

Have now downgraded to V14,...

9. DannyD3

DannyD3 Bit poster

In my experience PD15 is slower and more buggy than 14 at this point. I would wait for a couple updates before upgrading. I wish I had.

10. nanooq

nanooq Member

So ? As stated above I did file a report, probably as many others did. And what now ? No response whatsoever...just like when I filed it first in March.
    Another hint (for what it's worth): I thought the super-slow Windows 10 boot under PD14 might be related to the fact that the VMs were Win 7 migrated installations but that is not the case. I installed a fresh Win 10 (1903) from scratch and it also boots like minutes and minutes. Also wouldn't explain the many hangs of Linux VMs.
    I'm afraid it is related to Parallels Desktop 14 AND 15. just in case you are interested.

11. bradhs123

bradhs123 Junior Member

Parallels 15 is very unstable. My Win10 keeps locking up, I tried to shrink the disk to save space and it crashed my computer at 30%. Trying to go back in, no go, it's completely corrupted. Thank god I had a Veeam backup from that morning. Blew away the old VM, created a new one from scratch, restored my Win 10 VM, was able to use it for a good hour then it locks up. And now it locks up after booting up to the login screen. Also, Parallels will sometimes get stuck on the splash screen as it tries to start up.

12. Jedanor

Jedanor Bit poster

I have graphs in my acoustics software that showed up in V14 and are completely absent in 15. Seems that this update is not ready for prime time. I'm pretty miffed about it as I needed this data and, like another user, should not have jumped the gun. I tried to find a number to call in, but it seems all Parallels wants you to do is go to Facebook, Twitter, these forums, etc. If it were my business, I'd opt for the one on one solutions so that the forums don't boil over with bad press. If this can't be fixed quickly, I'll probably cancel my subscription and check VM Ware back out. Just my 2cents.

Scott

13. RHS

RHS Hunter

So your VM was corrupted when you tried to reclaim disk space? Run Disk Utility and check your Mac file system. This has been going on since Mojave was introduced with it's "purgeable space". There are others who are suffering from it. I've had to restore my VM as well as completely restore the Mojave after everything gets corrupted. This has been happening since PD13. Parallels either can't or won't fix this issue. I haven't reclaimed disk space for months.