Welcome surprise

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by simibilly@mac.com, Sep 18, 2007.

1. simibilly@mac.com

simibilly@mac.com Member

With build 5160 I am able to run RealFlight G3.5 flight simulator. I do get a warning that It is not expected to work due to something 3D, but it does load and run OK.

The only problem is that my iMac doesn't recognize the controller activity to prevent the OS from dimming the screen while the simulator is running.

Hooray for Parallels, now maybe I can ditch Bootcamp.

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  3. simibilly@mac.com

simibilly@mac.com Member

Well, yes I am aware of the ability to not have screen dimming at all, however I prefer it to be on when there is no activity for a specified period of time. When running RealFlight G3.5 there is constant activity and the screen should not dim. Parallels needs to post a flag to indicate activity.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hmm... I never had the dimming, that I noticed, from prolonged use of Parallels.

5. simibilly@mac.com

simibilly@mac.com Member

Well if you are moving the mouse or typing on the keyboard there is activity which will inhibit dimming. Apparently the USB controller I use with RealFlight G3.5 does not register as an activity.

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Ahh... Ok, I get it now. Sorry. You should probably add it to the wish list, along with the name of your controller.

7. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

This happens in OSX with any game using a USB HID controller as well.

This is a OSX bug that Apple needs to fix, and I doubt that Parallels can fix it.

8. simibilly@mac.com

simibilly@mac.com Member

If it's an OSX bug then when running under BootCamp the same should be true, i.e. dimming of the screen while running RealFlight G3.5, which is not the case.

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

No, because in BC OS X is not running.

10. RickMaddy

RickMaddy Member

I just tried Parallels 5160 with the RealFlight G3.5 demo and it doesn't work on my Macbook Pro. It starts to load the aircraft and fails with some sort of DirectX error. I do have DirectX enabled in Parallels. It works on your iMac but not my Macbook Pro. Strange.

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

RickMaddy,

Did you try re-installing your tools?