How can I rename my (Host Only) Networks?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BenjaminE3, Nov 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BenjaminE3

BenjaminE3 Bit poster

I want to build experimental Networks, but if I add some new Host Only Networks they are automaticly called "Host-Only", "Host-Only #2", ...
    I would rename them to "Business", "DMZ", "Private", "WLAN" for example.

How can I do that?

2. Hi BenjaminE3. Please provide few screenshots of the location where you would like to rename the networks.

3. BenjaminE3

BenjaminE3 Bit poster

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @BenjaminE3, we are sorry! It is not possible to rename "Host-Only" Networks in Parallels Desktop Preference menu.

5. basic612

basic612 Bit poster

I am very keen to be able to rename host only networks to be more meaningful; I am testing across many networks and having to maintain a separate list of what host only network relates to what domain is not convenient. What is the best way to get this feature on to the product roadmap?

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    It is really so that GUI doesn't support custom names for host-only networks. But may be you would find it useful (In Buiseness/Pro versions of Parallels) that it is possible to create or configure networks from command line using prlsrvctl utility of Parallels Desktop (should be in path already, just start the /Application/Utilities/Terminal).

1) Network creation
    prlsrvctl net add "My test network"

2) Configuring the network:
    (example disables the DHCP on network and disables host interface creation for this network)
    prlsrvctl net set "My test network" --connect-host-to-net off --dhcp-server off --dhcp6-server off

3) list networks:
    prlsrvctl net list

--
    If you want to rename existing networks, this can be done by quitting the parallels desktop and editing the configuration file of Parallels. I assume that you are familiar with the vim editor:
    sudo vim /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml

7. Frank25

Frank25 Bit poster

Can we still rename existing networks on home edition by modifying the xml file because I only see one network created.

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Yes, it is possible to quit the Parallels Desktop and edit the /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml
    note: the file is owned by root.

9. Frank25

Frank25 Bit poster

@Elric, thank you for the quick response. This file does NOT exist in that location. upload_2019-8-20_8-49-5.png

However, when I use terminal, I can find it and when I edit with VIM, I only have 1 entry in the xml and I'm not clear which key I should modify.

10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hm..... actually, the way with editing the XML file is unofficial. Officially it is only possible to create and rename host-only networks in the Business edition of the parallels desktop..

11. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Officially it is only possible to create and rename host-only networks in the Business edition of the parallels desktop via prlctl or gui: in the Business edition there are buttons in the gui for this

12. HunterD

HunterD Junior Member

GUI Buttons in Business but not Pro?? Why?