Reclaiming HDD space trashed Windows 7!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by strells, Oct 17, 2018.

1. strells

strells Product Expert

In preparation for updating to Parallels 14, I chose to shut down my Win 7 VM and reclaim the expanding drive's space. However, during the process, Parallels froze after I waited a number of hours for the process to complete. After force quitting, I tried starting the VM only to find it was trashed. I mounted the .hdd file and the Windows and Program Files directories were empty.

I'm now trying to get some files off the virtual disk (.hdd), but I keep getting a Finder error -36 every time I try to copy more than one file. The individual files I am able to get off the .hdd appear to be OK, but I can't keep copying files one at a time. Googling finds trying "dot_clean" for error -36, but this is not working.

Anybody ever have an issue like this? I'm not thrilled about losing my VM, but if I can get the files off the virtual drive, then I'll create a nice new clean Windows 10 VM. I have a ticket in to Parallels support, but I wanted to see if anybody here had any suggestions.

2. strells

strells Product Expert

Now I'm worried this is happening again. I updated to version 15 and (foolishly) tried reclaiming disk space on my now Windows 10 VM and it's sitting at 1/4 complete. How long should this process take?

3. strells

strells Product Expert

Well, I waited a bit longer and the process finished. Whew! I wish that status bar would at least move a bit or do something during this process. Or have a cancel button.