Upgrade 4560 -> 5160, tools install hoses video playback

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by fast_ian, Oct 13, 2007.

1. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

Hi,

There is a similar thread [http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=17229] but its referring to Vista and I'm using XP SP2 - So here we go:

MBPro, 2.16 Core Duo, 2GB, 10.4.10
    XP-latest-patches installed.

Everything ran beautifully under 3.0 Build 4560 - Tools installed and video playback was faultless. [I'm also pretty sure I never enabled DirectX, but could be wrong.]

Then installed 5160 and Tools - Video playback now fails.

Reverted to an earlier snapshot [I *love* that feature btw] - I then recevied the warning about a version mismatch between Parallels and Tools but cancelled the tool installation - Video works again!

Install the Tools, and video breaks :-(

The application log shows it to be using "VMR9" (video mixer renderer) when it works but falls back to the original vmr when it fails.

I guess I could do a "custom" tools install and go one-by-one until I install something that breaks it, but thats a lot of work..... I'm hoping you may be able to give me a clue as to what is causing this issue.....

Thanks in advnace for any insights,
    Cheers,
    Ian

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hmm... Could you do a one by one? Just do half, of them see if it works, and then if it still does, do half of the other set, etc. It'll cut your isolating time into a small fraction of the usual time.

That will help Parallels out... Have you opened a trouble ticket?

3. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

I *could* - Of course! [And yes, I'd use the 50% approach - thanks :) ]

However, I was kind of hoping someone would jump in with a "given whats causing the error, try xyz" kind of answer - However, given that I still can't find a link to download 4560 (thx for comments in the printer thread btw) I may just have to bite the bullet and do it. [And thence become more useful to the Parallels team it seems :) ]

No, I haven't opened a trouble ticket - Wanted to try here first. It sounds as though you think I should?

Thanks, cheers,
    Ian

4. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

Hi,

Update - I eventually found a link to download 4560, uninstalled 5160 and succesfully installed 4560 and its tools - All is indeed well with the world again.....

However, continued testing leads me to believe that my initial "guess" that it was something to do with VMR9 *may* be wrong - Sorry! In any event, enabling DirectX causes "my" application to fail to load my test videos - Disable this and all is well.

HTH - Once I've got this project out of the way I will probably have some more time to "upgrade" (?) back to 5160 and install the tools "gradually" to try and isolate whats causing the problem - In the meantime I'd be happy to answer any other Q's about my installation.

Cheers,
    Ian

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Glad you found the link. Before scrolling down and reading your second reply I found the link via a search that found one of your posts linking to it. Ironic.

It's nice to hear things work. I do think that when you have time you should open a trouble-ticket up.

6. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

OK - As soon as I can I will "upgrade" again and then selectively install the tools until it breaks, then file a ticket.

However, in the meantime, I'd like to confirm that (at least) two other users of this video application have "fixed" the problem by going back to 4560 - Its not just me!....

Cheers,
    Ian

7. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

OK - The details:

1. DirectX is always off - Turning it on breaks my application.
    2. 4560 + Tools - All works as expected.
    3. Upgrade Parallels to 5160 - All OK
    4. Run tools install and deselect everything that is NOT "greyed out" in the custom install list - Still OK.
    5. Restart Tools install - Deselect: Shared profile, shared apps, Shared internet apps, shared folders and network driver - Install clipboard sync, coherence, drag & drop & file sharing. - Now its broken.
    6. Try and "uninstall" the items above to determine which is causing the error and realise that the installer is not "reading" what is actually installed but rather just presenting a list (some of which I now know are dependant upon other tools)
    7. Still broken, but I'm no longer sure what is and isn't installed - Deselect "everything" its possible to deselect and its still broken :-(

So, I'm not at all sure which of the tools is breaking the installation, but *suspect* coherence - Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me......

Anyway, altough it took only about 10 minutes to write the above, the actual exercise took hours, and I "fixed" everything by uninstalling and going back to 4560+Tools.

Sorry to not be more specific - It would be much easier to chase this down if the InstallShield Wizard were to "read" whats installed and what isn't and also if the dependencies were shown as such.

However, there is definitely a bug in here somewhere! - How do I submit a trouble ticket?

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

9. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

Thanks for the link - A trouble ticket has been submitted [Parallels #257611] [PD3]

"My" video application is "Trackvision" (a demo version is available for download from "www.trackvision.net") - Very briefly, it creates a virtual dashboard in a video feed. You open the video file (as long as you aren't running 5160 of course :) and the datalogger file and the app merges the two into an output video - Very cool stuff.....

However, please note that I'm a Beta tester and am running the not yet released version 2.0 - I *guess* the existing version (1.2) will exhibit the same behavior, but it is much more "fussy" about the format of the input file - Although the "sample.mpg" video thats included in the app is one of the videos I've been using for this testing exercise.

As I mentioned, it seems to me that selecting "Custom" tools installation simply offers up all the options without regard to whats already installed, or wrt dependencies and it was at that stage that I got "frustrated" as to what was and was not installed - Sorry!

I also believe that Trackvision tries (and fails) to do a color space conversion with 5160Tools installed that it does not do with 4560 - I have no idea why of course :-(

Anyway, the Parallels folk should be getting back to me within 3 days - If they don't post here I'll keep this updated when I hear anything. [The trouble ticket basically just points to this thread.]

Thanks again for the response,
    Cheers,
    Ian

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Okey doke, if I have some spare time this week I'll run some tests.

11. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

Well, they did respond - The suggestions:

1. Try increasing virtual video memory - I can't as I can't get it to go beyond the already set 64mb. [The "recommended" value is displayed as 16mb btw]
    2. Try increasing the virtual memory of the VM - It's already at 1500MB, don't think it can go any higher....
    3. Try changing the acceleration level of the VM [Currently at "high"] - This one I haven't tried as I'm "sceptical" of its effectiveness - Any insights as to if this is really worth a try? [The whole upgrade -> install tools -> downgrade process takes a while...:-( ]

So, unless someone tells me lowering the acceleration level is *likely* to fix this I'm going to be staying with 4560 for the time being.

Cheers,
    Ian

12. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Sorry, haven't had a chance to turn to anything yet...

I would try playing with the acceleration level though.

13. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

There's absolutely no need to be sorry dude! - Thx for taking the time to respond.

Hmmm - I guess now that I have both dmg's on my desktop and have "been-there-done-that" I could give it a go again...... Also implement a more experienced "custom" tools install this time round..... Hmmm.

[To be honest, when I began writing this response, it was going to be "thanks for the efforts, but I'm gonna' stay where I am."]

I'll report back.

Cheers,
    Ian

14. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hehe, I'll be interested to see the report.

The community effect is addictive.
    *points at post count*

15. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

I eventually got there - Cutting a very long set of "debug notes" down to a summary:

- 5160 "mandatory" tools [Disk compacting, time sync and tools center] can be installed without causing the problem
    - I then installed [in addition to the 3 above - no way to deselect 'em] - mouse sync, network driver and video driver.
    - That causes "my" video application to fail.
    - So, disable video acceleration - Still the same unfortunately
    - Use the installer again for the 3 core tools plus mouse sync only [no network & video drivers] - Still the same failure.
    - Maybe it's "mouse sync" causing the problem (!)....
    - Install just the 3 core tools again - Still fails :-(

I'm pretty sure there is "something" in the "video driver" toolset that once installed is not subsequently uninstalled.

Rather interestingly, someone in "my" application forums has reported the same error msg as I see - And they're running on a "real" (?) PC..... I'm waiting for a response, but it may be related to color depth...

HTH,
    Cheers,
    Ian

16. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

How interesting...

Excuse me for re-asking information:
    1. Not checking 'Enable DirectX' allows it to work or not work?
    2. Does your error message show the same as mine, "Unable to load video[]"?

17. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

Yep - "Interesting" & "frustrating"....

1. With 4560 tools installed enabling DirectX breaks the application - "sample.mpg" will load and run without it checked - Turn it on, and I get the error msg. [BTW, I'm pretty sure I've never tried enabling it with 5160 tools installed however.]

2. Sure does! - And thanks again for "going with me" on this - It sounds like you're seeing the same things as me, which is a nice "sanity check!".....

As you're now a Trackvision user (!) it may also be useful to note:

- After you've loaded a video into the preview screen (whether successful or not) selecting "help" -> "View Trackvision log" will, not surprisingly, show you the log - The failure appears to be an inability to load VMR9.
    - As mentioned above, another user on a "real" PC is seeing the same error - We have a thread going here:

http://trackvision.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=420

I'm waiting to hear what the "fatal bug" Gregs referring to is all about.....

Cheers,
    Ian

18. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

An update:

I'm now using 5160, and am almost 100% certain that installing the "video driver" is what triggers the bug. More significantly, a subsequent uninstall does not "un-break" it.

I tried "poking" at the install package with Pacifist to see what was what, but that turned into a blind alley.

So, the question: Can someone please tell me what installing the video-driver actually installs? [More significantly, what an uninstall does not remove?.]

Thanks in advance,
    Ian

19. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Yeah, I'm sorta stuck in helping you, sorry, we have left my scope.

I'll be following the thread though.

20. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

No one? :-(

Bummer.....