WIN10 1903 update fails - Your PC/Device needs to be repaired error code 0xc000000f

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GrahamK1, Aug 22, 2019.

1. GrahamK1

GrahamK1 Bit poster

I have just tried the WIN10 1903 update but after installation Windows reports "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired error code 0xc000000f" in a pale blue screen. The repair action checked the BOOTCAMP disk and found no errors. Other recommended key options did not work. This blue screen disappears after about 30 seconds. I managed to restore the previous version WIN10 1803 using a Winclone backup so I am running again but reluctant to keep fiddling with this upgrade so have deferred. I am running Parallels desktop V14 in MacOS Mojave on 2018 13" MacBook Pro. Has anyone had this experience? Any fixes out there? Should I perhaps run BOOTCAMP natively to perform the upgrade?

2. @GrahamK1 did you try to create new Bootcamp based VM?

3. GrahamK1

GrahamK1 Bit poster

Maria, Thanks for your reply; no I didn't create a new BOOTCAMP based VM. Should I have done that? I have not had to do that before, after regular WIN10 updates or the 1803 feature update from 1709. I am not sure that I understand why that might solve the problem. It did occur to me that my problem might be a result of skipping the 1809 update which was initially reported as faulty - though I don't know why that should be the case.

4. MattN

MattN Bit poster

I've had the issue issue (twice now) which is starting to get frustrating.

5. Guys, please collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced and post here the report's ID.
    Thanks in advance for your cooperation

6. GrahamK1

GrahamK1 Bit poster

I have tried the upgrade again and report ID is 320663976. I will leave the system as is for 24 hours to see if there is any obvious resolution but then will need to revert to 1803. I attach the error screen shot. Thanks for looking at this.

Attached Files:

7. mmika

mmika Pro

GrahamK1, do I understand correctly you tried to update Windows from within BootCamp VM?
    If so, you should not do so, because big feature update require EFI partition modification.
    You are at risk to break either Bootcamp VM or a native Bootcamp state.
    I would suggest to update windows from within native Bootcamp.
    After Windows updated via native Bootcamp you have to recreate Bootcamp VM to reflect changes in windows boot loader.

8. GrahamK1

GrahamK1 Bit poster

Thanks for this advice - I tried native bootcamp (with version 1803 restored with Winclone) and now get message: "Inaccessible Boot Device". So I guess something is broken as you suggest. I can still use 1803 with Parallels. Any further suggestions please?

9. mmika

mmika Pro

I think you need to recover native bootcamp at first...
    If you have a lot of disk space (may be on external drives)
    you can "back up" you bootcamp by importing it to VM.
    This will make a copy of bootcamp as pure virtual VM (i.e. copy all windows data to image file in OS X).
    I suppose as you get BootCamp VM working this imported bootcamp VM will be working as well.
    After this you can try to recover native bootcamp, using Windows tools.

10. GrahamK1

GrahamK1 Bit poster

Hi, did the report reveal anything helpful please? I have followed your earlier suggestion - deleted the existing BOOTCAMP VM and tried to create a new one (working with the WIN version updated to 1903) but the system just hangs (spinning dots under the window logo). I can also confirm that I consistently get this problem after the first reboot demanded by the upgrade process (blue screen says working on updates - do not turn off your computer - then attempts its first reboot). I also tried native BOOTCAMP having shut down Parallels and rebooted and get the same issue. So I have reverted again to 1803 version saved with WINCLONE - and reactivated Windows. I need to work with WIN10 so will wait to see if there are further ideas for resolution.
    To mmika: I have not tried your suggestion yet as I have WINCLONE backups so I am not sure why your suggestion would help. But thanks for the suggestion.

11. GrahamS3

GrahamS3 Bit poster

I believe I have an identical problem. But I cannot find a solution posted anywhere for the problem yet.

iMac 2015
    macOS 10.15.2
    Parallels 15 for Mac Pro Edition (ver 15.1.2 (47123))

I updated Windows 10 from 1803 to 1903 in Boot Camp a few months ago. After updating Windows, the Parallels virtual machine cannot open the Boot Camp partition. Windows runs properly if I boot the computer directly to Windows. I have deleted and recreated Parallels virtual machines many times. The exact same problem occurs every time. When I attempt to run the virtual machine, the virtual machine shows me the same screen as the screen shot that GrahamK1 posted above. I attempted to submit a Technical Report, report number 331366924.

Does Parallels know this problem, or does Parallels have no solution to this problem yet?

12. PaulK17

PaulK17 Bit poster

I'm having the same problem on both Windows 1903 and 1909.

-Boot camp works booting into it.
    -Win10 via Parallels works as an imported VM (imported from boot camp to the Mac partition)
    - Win10 via "My Boot Camp" in parallels does not work giving me the same repair 0x000000f error.

I updated windows from within the boot camp partition (not from Mac/boot camp assistant). I'm on the latest Mojave. It does work on my other machine running Catalina.

Any help would be appreciated, I'd like to delete the imported VM windows 10 and use the My Boot Camp option instead as it performs better for me this way. Thank you

13. Hi, this is the known issue and it's currently under investigation. But in order to get more info about this, could you collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here? We will escalate this info to the Parallels Engineering team.

14. AlonsoA

AlonsoA Bit poster

Have any found a solution for this error yet? I have it too.

15. AravA

AravA

I was wondering if anyone found a solution for this error, I have it too.