Some games in Steam not working in Parallels 15 but DID work in 14.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AdeT, Aug 16, 2019.

1. AdeT

AdeT Bit poster

I recently downloaded the trial of Parallels 15 to test to see if the Steam game performance was any better than Parallels 14 and in general I would say yes BUT I came across an issue where some games (The Talos Principle) which did run in Parallels 14 perfectly fine now don't run in Parallels 15 as it complains that its 'Unable to detect the graphics hardware' (see below).

Screenshot 2019-08-16 at 23.10.16.png

Is this a known issue or do I need to tweak a setting somewhere?.

kba likes this.
  2. AdeT

AdeT Bit poster

Ok Parallels support is there a reason a lot of posts relating to version 15 aren't getting answered? (mine included).

3. Hi, could you generate the tech report right after the issue reproduced and reply us back with the report ID.
    Also is it possible to install Parallels Desktop 14 again, start the Steam game and also generate the tech report from the 14 version.

AdeT likes this.
  4. AdeT

AdeT Bit poster

Report ID (320462991) created for the issue running in Parallels 15. If I install Parallels 14 will that then remove Parallels 15? (as it did when installing 15).

5. kba

kba Bit poster

I recognize the problem. I have the same issue with my iMac Pro (2017) and a game like GTA V. It worked fine with r14 but in r15 I got the same message about my hardware and the game crashes almost instantly due to graphical errors. On my MacBookPro (late 2013) I have no graphical issues with GTA V and it runs even better than in r14. In r14 there were some issues with internal lighting in the game but in r15 everything looks as it should.. at least on the MacBookPro but the iMacPro suspends windows almost instantly.

AdeT likes this.
  6. Gregg_Harris

Gregg_Harris Bit poster

Cannot run World of Tanks on an iMac Pro with 15. Frame rate way to low---cannot use it.

AdeT likes this.
  7. Please generate the tech report after the issue reproduced and post the report's id here.

8. AdeT

AdeT Bit poster

Is there any update on my tech report?

9. Jeff7

Jeff7 Junior Member

I've submitted a tech report on Heroes of Might and Magic VI. used to work in v14, but has many, many problems in v15. The campaign crashes the whole VM and MacOS (most times). The screen is too dark on regular games to see anything.

10. Hi, we've involved Parallels Engineering team for the further issue investigation and will contact you once we get any updates from them.

11. Jeff7

Jeff7 Junior Member

Tech report number 320843833 submitted on my issue.

12. kba

kba Bit poster

Hi Parallels,
    any news on the graphic issues as mentioned in this and many other posts? Any idea whether it's related tot the (game)code or is there an issue with PD15 and some of the newer videocards since several posters mentioned iMac Pro's, new Macbook Pro's or the the Radeon Pro Vega 56 card, myself included. And many mention that they have no problems on older machines with lesser specs.

13. Are you able to play this game after clicking "yes" and skip this message?