Android-x86 - apps from Google Play don't work?

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by TomO4, Aug 30, 2019.

1. TomO4

TomO4 Bit poster

I just installed Parallels 15.0.0 on macOS 10.14.5. I tried creating a new Android install using the 'Download Android' option under 'Free Systems' in Installation Assistant. Setup completes correctly and I'm able to log in with my Google account and browse the web with the included browser.

I tried installing two apps from the Google Play Store: Wyze and SmartThings. When I try to open Wyze, the screen shifts to the left like it's trying to adjust the resolution, and I get the error message 'Wyze has stopped'. If I click 'Open app again', I get the message 'Wyze keeps stopping'. I continue to get this error if I tell it to keep trying. With SmartThings, I get the same screen shift and the same error, but the SmartThings Sign-In screen loads behind the error. If I keep telling it to open the app again, I can click the Sign in button, which tries to load a very long URL on https://us.account.samsung.com and gives the error ERR_SPDY_INADEQUATE_TRANSPORT_SECURITY.

I tried doing another fresh install of the VM, but get the same results. I just tried installing Firefox from the Google Play store, and it seems to work ok. Did I just get unlucky with these two apps?

2. TomO4

TomO4 Bit poster

A few more data points:

Samsung Internet Browser loads to a blank white screen. So does Samsung Internet Browser beta.

Panasonic LUMIX Sync flashes its splash screen for a moment then gives the error 'LUMIX Sync has stopped'.

Panasonic Image App flashes a black screen then gives the error 'Image App has stopped'