Memory allocation for VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AlekseyM2, Jul 14, 2019.

1. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Member

I allocated 8Gb for a Windows 10 Pro guest OS on Mac. Why do I see that it takes 13 Gb from Mac OS in Activity Monitor? I understand there should be an overhead, but why does it take from Mac OS almost twice the memory allocated for Windows?

2. @AlekseyM2, could you share the screenshot of Activity monitor with us please?

3. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Member

Sure.
    Activity Monitor: Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 1.55.54 PM.png
    VM Settings:
    Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 1.56.09 PM.png

4. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Member

There is definitely a memory leak somewhere:
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.14.43 PM.png

5. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Member

I noticed that version 15 has been released. Did you fix the memory leak issue there?

6. I've tried to reproduce this issue on my environments and everything works ok.
    You can test it with the 14-days trial period and please report us if the issue reoccurs.

7. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Member

I'll see if this may depend on the hypervisor settings.

8. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Member

It seems that this issue appears only when using Apple hypervisor. With Parallels hypervisor however, CPU hits more than 200% all the time and fans blow at full speed.

9. KennyE1

KennyE1 Bit poster

you may try reduce the processor to 2, see if it is help..

10. DanielK21

DanielK21 Bit poster

I have started to notice this issue after upgrading to Parallels 15. While my VM is set to use 6GB of memory, in Activity Monitor I often see Parallels 11 GB of memory or more -- this is having an adverse impact on the performance of my MacBook. What's up?