Reverted back to PD14 from PD15

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MC5, Aug 22, 2019.

1. MC5

MC5 Bit poster

I thought I give PD15 a try and upgraded today on Mojave 10.14.6:

- Unfortunately nothing is working the way it should. The parallels hypervisor is still slow as hell, so I reverted back to Apple's hypervisor.
    - The main problem point however is that Windows was completely unusable as soon as I plugged in the external HDMI monitor as a second screen. Windows simply froze each time I tried this (and yes, I had tried ALL monitor settings in PD like Best for Retina (my default setting), Scaled or Best for external displays).
    - PD15 is missing the Direct X version selector, so nothing could be changed there.
    - I also tried various settings with display spaces etc, nothing helped to let Windows operate normally. As soon as I plugged in the secondary monitor, Windows each time simply froze (mouse was still movable), but didn't accept any further inputs. And yes, of course the parallels tools were updated, so no error from user side.

I reverted back to PD14 until Parallels fixes this. This was simply another disaster upgrade.

2. AdiGital

AdiGital Bit poster

I'm on PD13, which works fine - especially after my recent hardware upgrade (below). Installed PD15 and noticed no visible performance boost. I tried two games to see DX in action but uninstalled them as it's not my focus. Then I opened Excel with a simple spreadsheet and was shocked by trying to scroll the thing. It was literally jumping few rows at a time. I then restored to the PD13 from TimeMachine and all is back to normal. Not really encouraging to upgrade. Feels like the release calendar exists only to support the subscription model.

Currently running on MB Pro 2019, i9 2.4GHz, 32GB ram, eGPU Core X with Radeon Vega56.

3. Jeff7

Jeff7 Junior Member

Agreed. 15 was not a good upgrade as it broke any windows games I play. Productivity apps seem to work ok.

4. RonPop

RonPop Member

Any updates on this?

I've run into the same issues with Excel -- try to scroll around a large file or simply resize a column and the screen stops updating. Not until you stop scrolling or resizing do you see your change take effect. There's obviously something goofy with their new video drivers. I've seen this on two totally different computers: a MacBook Pro and Mac Pro. I reinstalled version 14 to fix it.

I posted about it on Twitter but all Parallels support did was ask me to direct message them, as if they don't want to discuss it publicly. Their customer service has always been pretty pathetic.

Maybe Catalina will fix it?

5. VaidyM

VaidyM Junior Member

I would guess PD15 is pretty much written with mac OS Catalina in mind. I've heard select few who've installed PD15 on Catalina beta and confirmed it's working well. It's a shame those who don't want to upgrade to Catalina are caught in between.

6. Jeff7

Jeff7 Junior Member

yah well some of are trying to use this with production machines where running beta OS software is a no no and not an option. if Parallels bills the v15 as working with current versions of the OS, it should work.

7. RonPop

RonPop Member

That's what annoys me -- if PD15 will work fine with Catalina, that's great, I look forward to it, but Parallels should be clear about that and not have released 15 before Catalina was available. And so far Parallels has been totally silent and unresponsive about this issue.

8. JustinFranks

JustinFranks Bit poster

Unfortunately I have seen similar issues with video, and I'm on Catalina. Random stutters. A few games that I have tried work fine. Others became completely unplayable. For example, even on my old 2012 iMac (i7-3770 / 32 GB / 512 GB SSD / GTX 680MX 2GB), Batman: Arkham Origins ran great with most settings turned up at 1080P. With Parallels 15, even on my new 2019 iMac (i9-9900K / 40 GB / 512 GB SSD / Radeon Pro Vega 48), with settings at their lowest at 720P, I get around 5 FPS. Completely unplayable.

9. RonPop

RonPop Member

Bummed to hear that. I don't play games, but it must be the same issue that's affecting the Windows apps I am using like Excel.

Hopefully someone at Parallels is paying attention...

10. Guys, may I ask you for some help with the issue investigation? Could you collect the tech data after the issue reproduced and post here the tech.report ID?

11. JustinFranks

JustinFranks Bit poster

Unfortunately my trial period has expired and I'm unable to send the report. And with these issues present, I can't justify paying $100. If there is a way of temporarily allowing me to run the VM to grab the tech report, I'll gladly do so. I'm not asking for an extension, just a way for me to boot up the VM once, try to reproduce the error, and collect the tech data.

12. Thanks a lot for your cooperation with us. Please check your inbox for more info.

13. KimD4

KimD4 Bit poster

Same here. After updating to PD 15, excel is literally unusable. Stutters so much that MAC version excel now feels so smooth. Now I downgraded back to PD 14 and it works fine.

14. Could you reproduce the issue please and collect the tech report right after that? Please post the report's ID here.

15. Also the detailed description of the issue will be very appreciated.

16. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

I have now updated to version 15 - the same problems as in the beginning with version 14 already (for the support: ticket 2536821, 2554634, 2568410).
    iMac, MacOS Sierra, 3.1 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Fusion Drive, MacOS 10.12.6.
    High CPU Usage, slow startup, absolutely unacceptable performance on Windows and Mac.
    Everything already tried as described under kb.parallels.com/de/116263 - no improvement.

17. Please generate the tech report right after that issue reproduced and post new report (from 15 version) here
    We will check your tickets for the additional info

18. 44franktn

44franktn Junior Member

Same problems as RonPop and KimD4 - after upgrading to PD15 excel is almost unusable. Lag in mouse response, stutters on scrolling, windows jumping. I've gone back to mac excel for some workbooks, but need the win version for KuTools, power pivot, etc. Posted to another thread, but have not seen a response. Going to look for instructions on down-grading to PD14. Unfortunately didn't save a backup with that version. MB Pro 13 late 2016, 3.1 mz, Mojave 10.14.6, 16GB. Got a project this week, can't wait for Catalina. Long-time Parallels user.

19. 44franktn

44franktn Junior Member

Update - needed support's help, but got back to PD14. Excel back to normal.

20. RonPop

RonPop Member

Is it time to switch back to VMWare? Come on, Parallels, @Maria@Parallels, it's been over a month since 15 was released and we've heard practically nothing from you! You ask for tech reports and tickets but are you going to acknowledge that there is a problem? Give us some kind of explanation or ETA? I have two subscriptions, one which just renewed, and I'm beginning to wonder if I need to file a complaint with my credit card company.