Updating a specific virtual machine in paralells desktop to Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RobertJoh, Sep 11, 2019.

1. RobertJoh

RobertJoh Bit poster

I have 5 virtual machines on my computer and like to update one of them to Windows 10. When running the update and clicking on MediaCreationToolx64.exe, Parallels Desktop start one specific machine and asks to update that machine. How can I change which it selects?
    I have tried to reorder the list but still Parallels Desktop start the same machine.
    Or are there other ways to update a specific virtual machine from the ISO file?

2. @RobertJoh Could you clarify and send us step-by step instruction in order to reproduce the same issue on our side please? Did you start VM, then start the update, and then update starts into other VM?

3. RobertJoh

RobertJoh Bit poster

I tried both starting the specific virtual machine as well as just running MediaCreationTool64.exe without parallels desktop open. On both occasions, the first virtual machine started. With the option view, I tried to reorder the virtual machine. But even when the machines seem to be in another appropriate order, the same first virtual machine was opened. (I believe it is the first one I created)
    I'm updating from Windows 8.1 Pro. Adding a fresh new copy of Windows 10 is no problem, but for this specific assignment, I need to update an existing installation.

Attached Files:

4. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi,
    Is the VM you are trying to update a clone or a copy of the one VM that keeps opening up for the update?

5. RobertJoh

RobertJoh Bit poster

Yes, the one I like to update is initially a clone of the one that starts. However, I tried to update another, and I believe it is not a clone. The size of the database is 98GB, so I run a little short of space if I make a duplicate

6. kat

kat Product Expert

If both VM have the same MAC address that may be our issue.

7. kat

kat Product Expert

My Keboard has some issues the above post should have read:
    If both VMs have the same MAC address that may be your issue.

8. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi,
    Have you checked your VMs MAC addresses? To Check if both VMs have the same MAC address : Select the VM >Actions>Configure>Network>Advanced Settings (this is were you will find your MAC address. You can also make changes to it here.)

9. RobertJoh

RobertJoh Bit poster

Hi, all VM on my computer have a MAC adress starting with 00:1C:42. But the other six digits are unique for each VM

10. kat

kat Product Expert

Do they ave the same IP address?