Is there a way to slow clock ticks under Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by zslg01, Sep 10, 2019.

1. zslg01

zslg01 Member

A time honored patch for *nix systems under a VM is to slow down the clock ticks to reduct the overhead of the interrupt handling - a VM usually doesn't need the resolution Linux provides. I know FreeBSD under VMWare has a sysctl change to slow down timer interrupts. Anyone know if Parallels can do the same for *nix systems (or is it handled in the Tools additions?).
    I sure wish there was better documentation on what and why Parallels does under the hood.

2. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Of course we do some performance optimization. Part of this optimization is enabled always, another optimization is enabled depending on guest type.
    Do you have some test case when performance of Linux VM is highly affected by interrupt processing overhead?

3. zslg01

zslg01 Member

Uh - interrupt processing overhead - especially for clock ticks - adds to every process in the system. All I need to know is if Parallels Tools for Mint do anything to reduce the number of interrupts due to clock ticks. If not I can do something manually.
    For a good explanation and example see the VMware article ... https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1005802

4. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers