Function Keys not working with fn (5160) ind Windows

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by brainray2000, Sep 25, 2007.

1. brainray2000

brainray2000 Bit poster

Hi,

since the latest update I can't use the F-keys any more in Windows. I already tried to switch the system preferences (mouse and keyboard, but not change). I also made sure that the key itself works, it's just not available in Windows any more.

Any hint how to fix this? I've searched in the Parallels Prefs, but didn't find any option that makes sense.

Thanks in advance

Ray

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

could you please tell me what type of Mac are you using.

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. brainray2000

brainray2000 Bit poster

Hi Stacey,

thanks for requesting.

I use a MacBook (black) first generation with OS 10.4.10.

The former behavior was, that as soon as I am working in Windows, I could use the fn key to use e.g. the F10 key within Windows (XP Pro) as F10 key. Typically for work in Visual Studio 2005, while debugging, using stepping.
    Now, since the lastest update(5160), using the F10 key with or without fn, always triggers Expose's 'Desktop' command on the Mac side, which is set to F10. This does not seem right to me.

I can workaround this by setting Expose to another F-key, but that is not what I wanted to do. I didn't yet find an other way to get the 'old' behaviour back.

Bug or user error? Thanks for taking care!

Ray

4. PLLarose

PLLarose Bit poster

I am having the same problem.
    I am using an iMac.

Thanks,
    Phil

5. PLLarose

PLLarose Bit poster

I just noticed that it is not just F keys but other keys also.
    I have a stock program running under Windows that uses the key combination, "Control Space bar". When I use that combination I get QuickSilver which uses the same combination under Mac OS X.

Phil

6. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

brainray2000 and PLLarose, try to use combination Apple+F-key.

Post by premonition was moved here.

Best regards,
    Stacey

7. PLLarose

PLLarose Bit poster

Thanks Stacey, that works for both the F keys and the other keys.
    Phil

8. J.E. Highley

J.E. Highley Bit poster

Workaround far from ideal...

Using this workaround (Fn + Apple Key + Delete) works for the delete key. Thank you.

However, using this as a workaround for Copy (Ctrl + Apple + <C>) *will* copy but also causes the Start Menu to pop up... I don't want the Start Menu to pop up, I just want to copy something like I could with a regular XP machine -- like I could on the last Parallels build.

I'm using software that requires heavy copy & pasting and this is a problem... So much that I'm borrowing an alternative XP computer until I find a fix.

Suggestions?

9. brainray2000

brainray2000 Bit poster

Hi Stacey,
    the workaround works here as well.

However: it is still a workaround, right? It would be lovely, if the old behaviour was there again. If I am in the Windows scope, keys should work as expected there.

Once again: thanks of taking care!

Ray

10. Ron C

Ron C Bit poster

I have same issue

I have a MacBook running 10.4.10 with 2Gb memory. Guest OS is Windows 2000 SP4. Since updating to 5160, I'm not getting the Expose keys, F9 to F12, passed through to Windows unless I hold down the command (Apple) key first. F1 to F8 are fine.

I've opened a problem ticket with Parallels support but after several messages asking me to check various obvious settings, all of which I'd already played with, I've not heard anything for a week. It's clearly a problem with 5160 - I wish they'd acknowledge that.

It was fine in my last release, 4128, and having to remember these new key combinations for things which are burnt into my memory and I use subconsiously, is a problem I can't live with.

I like some of the new features, but unless this gets resolved soon, I'm going back to 4128 where I can work faster without continually pressing the wrong keys.

- Ron

11. PLLarose

PLLarose Bit poster

Stacey,

Would there be any problems going back to 4560 now that I have upgraded to 5160?

Thanks,
    Phil

12. Ron C

Ron C Bit poster

Hi Phil,

From my experience I would say you can do it. I've been back and forth between 5160 and 4128 at least 5 times with no problems. The only reason I skipped 4560 is that I never installed it when it came out originally. I don't see any reason why 4560 wouldn't work for you.

The way I've been doing it is to uninstall 5160 by using the uninstall app in the 5160 dmg. Then install from the old dmg. Your virtual machines are left alone by the uninstall. Then start each machine you have and Parallels Tools will pop up and prompt you through the 'upgrade' from 5160 back to whichever version you've re-installed.

It's probably advisable to bring up any suspended virtual machines and shut each one down before you go back.

It's been working for me without any problems but of course, you do it at your own risk.

- Ron

13. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

J.E. Highley, did you try to press simultaneously Apple and C for coping?

Ron C, you can try to change your Mac settings for these keys.

PLLarose, yes. It's possible to downgrage your Parallels Desktop.

Best regards,
    Stacey

14. Ron C

Ron C Bit poster

Stacey,

Which Mac settings are you referring to? I've already tried every different setting that I can find. It works fine in 4128, and in 5160 there's a workaround if I hold down the command (Apple) key. A someone else pointed out though, a workaround is not really the solution.

- Ron

15. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Ron, you can go to Mac's System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts and change there settings for F-keys.

Best regards,
    Stacey

16. Ron C

Ron C Bit poster

Hi Stacey,

Yes, if I turn off the shortcut keys for Expose and Dashboard then I get them passed through to Windows. It's still a workaround though, and of course I've lost the use of those functions when I'm in OS/X. I can define Command+F9 etc for Expose but that's another workaround.

Hopefully this will provide some pointers so that the bug can get get fixed.

- Ron

17. RobH

RobH Bit poster

There needs to be a simple option in Parallels Desktop to enable or disable OSX function keys. I have my F keys assigned to do various things, but I don't want them intefering with Windows, which has it's own F key needs.

In fact, why not have the settings be different depending on whether you're in full-screen mode or not?

18. PLLarose

PLLarose Bit poster

Hi Ron,
    I did go back to 4128 and had no problems.
    Thanks for the info.
    Phil