Converted VM always says "Preparing to configure your virtual machine" on every resume

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by shubb, Sep 6, 2019.

1. shubb

shubb Junior Member

I have a Windows 10 VM that was previously a Fusion VM. I did the conversion to Parallels, and that all completed fine. Once the VM is running everything works as it did as a Fusion VM. I have removed the VMware tools and installed Parallels tools.

Every time I start the VM, or resume from suspend, it always says "Preparing to configure your virtual machine" for about 5 minutes before it finally allows me to do anything. Once it completes, the window is very small, about 1/4 of the screen, even though when it was suspended, it took up the entire screen. The resolution of the VM screen is the same that it was previously when I suspended it, but the window is small so everything on the VM screen is tiny and too small to see. Initially, I cannot resize the window. Hovering over the bottom corner of the window does not show me the arrows to resize. After a minute or two, I am able to see the arrows and then drag the window back to the size it was before.

I also have an Ubuntu VM that was also converted from a Fusion VM, but that one works perfectly. When I resume it from suspend, it takes about a second before I can use it, so it is only isolated to the Windows VM.

How do I fix the Window VM so it resumes faster and remembers the screen size before it was suspended?

2. @shubb, could you generate the tech.report please right after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.
    Also after the report generation, please try to add your Windows VM hard drive to the new create empty VM and let us know how does it work.

3. shubb

shubb Junior Member

Hi, due to our company's security policy, I can't send a support bundle. Is there any other way I can gather info to troubleshoot?

4. Technical reports do not include personal or confidential data and contain only basic technical information (system logs, a description of the hardware configuration of the Mac itself and the settings of the current virtual machine). May be this description helps to collect report and send the id to us.
    If not, please let us know.

5. shubb

shubb Junior Member

I have inspected the support file, and it does contain personal information: my login name, my company's name, company AD Domain name, all processes running on the computer.

If you can tell me a file to look through, I can look for any errors or message that I can scrub and show you.

6. May be it's possible for you to share with us C:\Windows\Logs\parallels.log or /Library/Logs/parallels.log?