Unable to boot and install Windows 10 from an UEFI bootable thumb drive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Joe Xu, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Joe Xu

Joe Xu Bit poster

I got a new windows 10 UEFI bootable thumb drive to install.

I'm on the latest version of Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac Pro Edition

I tried to boot from the thumb drive but failed even i tried all hints from KB below.
    https://kb.parallels.com/en/124242
    https://kb.parallels.com/en/122735

It either notify me secure boot error or show me shell commands.

Does anyone have such experience and what's the fix?

Thanks!

2. Hi Joe Xu. There might be a chance that the boot files are corrupted in the thumb drive. Please download the ISO image file from Microsoft and try creating a new virtual machine using the image.

3. Joe Xu

Joe Xu Bit poster

Hi Sathiya,
    I have tried to get the thumb drive connect to a physical PC and it works perfectly. Any other suggestions may i take?

4. Kindly follow the steps from this article and check if it works.

5. mmika

mmika Pro

Hi Joe Xu,
    I would suggest to check "Select Boot Device on startup" in VM configuration hardware preferences.
    The start VM, press any key, you will enter to UEFI Boot Manager menu, then press ESC, select "Boot Maintenance Manager"->"Boot From File" and select appropriate UEFI loader you can find on a partition labeled with "EFISECTOR,"
    Make sure a bitness of loader on thumb drive matched to UEFI BIOS you selected during VM creation. It is assumed you have checked "customize" in VM creation wizard.

6. Joe Xu

Joe Xu Bit poster

Hi mmika,
    The bootable thumb drive can't be recognized by Parallels automatically, so i can not move forward with the option. My previous step is to configure without install source and customized the HW to boot from external drive.

7. mmika

mmika Pro

When you customized the HW to boot from external drive, there was a check box "Select Boot Device on startup" under the "Advanced Settings"

8. Joe Xu

Joe Xu Bit poster

Yes, i did that to select boot drive manually.
    I'm thinking if the thumb drive i have has a customized boot partition which can't be recognized by PD now.