Windows 10 VM freezes for 5 to 15 seconds regularly since High Sierra - Parallels 13.0.1 (42947)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AndrewB24, Oct 4, 2017.

1. sf10

sf10 Bit poster

PaulChris@Parallels - please help! my parallels 13 is up to date and is crashing every minute or so!

2. sf10

sf10 Bit poster

This worked for me: Go to Apple logo > System Preferences > Energy Saver, then turn OFF the 'Automatic graphics switching' checkbox.

3. GerdP

GerdP Bit poster

I have all the frozen/hanging problems of my Windows 10 VM described here (annoying), but I don't have this setting 'Automatic graphics switching' (iMac)
    Gerd

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @GerdP, the feature is available only on iMac. Is Windows 10 virtual machine freezes while starting up or when you are trying to open any applications?
    Can you please send us a Technical Data collected right after you open Task Manager in Windows 10 and Activity monitor (Help menu > Send Technical Data...)? This will help us significantly, please reply me back with the report ID number.

5. GerdP

GerdP Bit poster

Hi PaulChris@Parallels, the freezes didn't happen while starting up or when I tried to open any applications. Those happened in the middle of the work in applications but I cannot say if something like starting background updates happened at that time. Interesting enough, since I wrote my freeze problems into this forum, it hasn't happened anymore. Not sure if an Windows 10 update solved it (they are installed automatically in the background) or I was lucky in the last several days.
    Thanks Gerd

6. GerdP

GerdP Bit poster

Unfortunately, the Windows 10 system froze again now. I tried to de-install an application and then the system froze.... I was simply lucky that the system hasn't frozen for several days....
    Gerd

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @GerdP, we would recommend you to check your system.log for errors in the Console (Applications/Utilities/Console). Type "i/o" (without quotes) at Console's search bar and check if you can see "I/O error"

8. RobL3

RobL3 Bit poster

After banging my head against a wall for months I have solved this happening for me.

I disabled TRIM in the advanced disk settings and no more freezes!

Attached Files:

9. GerdP

GerdP Bit poster

Great. But unfortunately I have no setting TRIM....still habe freezes.

10. GaurangJ

GaurangJ Bit poster

My TRIM was already disabled. It still freezes. But thanks.

11. RobertC16

RobertC16 Bit poster

I found it was firefox that was killing my VM, go into options (in firefox) and disable hardware acceleration.

12. DavidG15

DavidG15 Bit poster

I am having this very issue, just as BorjaG describes, though as follows:
    • macOS Mojave (currently 0.14.3 Beta (18D32a), but it happen on current non-beta Mojave version also) + Parallels 14
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports), 3.5GHz i7
    I'm observing the same failure behavior and recovery process as described above. I've noticed the problem happens frequently when working with Office 365, but I spend a lot of timwworking in Office, so that may simply be a coincidence.

Hoping for a fix, here... this is appears to be a long-standing issue across multiple OS and Parallels versions.

13. AmerJ

AmerJ Bit poster

I have started getting same freezing issue since few days. I have tried all options mentioned in previous comments, e.g disabling Automatic Graphics Switching and Disk Trim option. Nothing worked for me. I have macOS Mojave and Parallels Desktop 15. My Windows 10 VM freezes after every few minutes in the middle of work and does not come back without "Reset". I am stuck and cannot do anything. Please help.

14. VadzimP

VadzimP Bit poster

Hi,
    I have the same problem with freezing - 5-10 sec during work randomly. (MacBook Pro Early 2013 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / Paralell 13 / Windows 7)
    According to recomendation of forum I changed:
    - TRIM - disabled
    - Automatic switch of graphic - OFF (Mac and Paralell settings)
    - Applications MAC from Win - Off
    And problem was solved. I will not to try to understand exact option helps me but it works.

15. Could you collect the tech.report please and share the report's id here?

16. Did you test the same behavior with the latest version of Parallels Desktop?

17. VadzimP

VadzimP Bit poster

I run into a problem for the first time in June. As far as I understand, I are to pay for upgrade to 14 or 15 and I just continue use 13.

18. you can test the same issue with trial version.
    Did you make any updates before the issue appeared?

19. VadzimP

VadzimP Bit poster

As for testing on trial version - the times when I mastered the advantages of Windows 3.1 over 3.0. and it was interesting for me already behind. Let's leave it to enthusiasts :) I just wanted to share information that in a particular case there is a solution as I described.
    As for updates - some updates for MAC was applied but I can't fix moment exactly. Tech report of my system 322701698. Maybe it will be useful.

20. Thanks a lot for sharing this.