4560 -> 5160, Are you happy?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by fast_ian, Oct 20, 2007.

?

Are you happy with the 4560 -> 5160 upgrade?

1. Yep, works for me, no problem!

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. It broke my installation!

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

Hi,

A couple of caveats:

1. I'm pretty much a newbie here, so am hoping I'm not out of line asking this question.

2. People with "issues" are typically the only visitors to this forum, so I'm kind of expecting the results to be skewed - However, there are way more "views" than "posts", so I'm hoping there are some happy users surfing around.....

Anyway, my admittedly limited experience, and reading this forum, leads me to suspect that the 5160 upgrade has "broken" more than a few peoples installations, often in bizarre and mysterious ways. OTOH, it does add some "neat stuff".

So, overall are you happy with this upgrade is the question?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

yes very happy

no problems seen here

Hugh W

3. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Generally happy except for two things:

1) Coherence is broken and I really miss it. While it sort of works often you cannot bring a window to the foreground. Very annoying. I've turned it off and suffer with a single window for now.

2) Shared desktops/profiles. Absolutely HORRIBLE. When you upgrade make sure that stuff is turned off. It has a terrible idea with horrible implementation. Associations on my Macs are still broken even after turning stuff off, running scripts to fix them etc.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Works for me, no problem.

5. milesce

milesce Member

I've been very happy, with one exception that has been a problem off an on with Parallels on my macbook pro. I have to be careful not to simply close the laptop, because if a parallels window is in the foreground, the computer won't properly go to sleep. I've gotten into the habit of pausing the parallels installation, then hitting alt-option-eject to put the computer to sleep.