[Licensing] Use one license on several personal computers

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by RyanM8, May 31, 2017.

?

Easy to use facility to switch license between computer systems

1. Yes, great. need one

162 vote(s)
    94.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. KellyT2

KellyT2 Bit poster

Okay, thanks

2. ParaKitty

ParaKitty Member

Seems Maria didn't get the memo that she's out of a job. Parallels was sold to Corel, and then again to KKR investment firm. Not really sure what they are investing in, since Parallels is dead.

mdr6 likes this.
  3. MacClueless

MacClueless Member

I hate that I can't use on my desktop and laptop... almost enough to switch to the inferior but free VirtualBox.

4. BrendanH2

BrendanH2 Bit poster

I would like to be able to quickly activate licenses between my MacBook and my iMac, instead of having to type in my email, password and full serial key each time.
    Stop making it annoying!

Parallels User and mdr6 like this.
  5. Hi, a license key for Parallels Desktop can be used on one Mac at a time. If required a license key can be moved to transfer on another Mac. Unfortunately, there is no way to bypass the activation procedure while activating on a new Mac.

mdr6 likes this.
  6. TracyH

TracyH Bit poster

I jumped ship from parallels this year and went with VMWare, one price forever, for as many computers as I own (unless I have to upgrade versions of course). I've installed it on my macbook pro and iMac and couldn't be happier. I kept on having to enter a license when using either computer which was so annoying. I don't notice a huge difference, so totally worth it for me.

7. BrendanH2

BrendanH2 Bit poster

+1 for this feature
    Having to enter my username, pw and key each time I use my iMac or MacBook is super annoying
    Make it quicker to transfer!

8. mdr6

mdr6 Bit poster

wow great

9. Activation procedure is also crucial to minimize any unauthorized usage of a license key. However, I do understand your point and we will forward this feedback to relevant team.

10. MichelW1

MichelW1 Bit poster

I will most likely be stepping away from Parallels due to this license restriction. I have an iMac at home and a Macbook Pro for on the road and I will no longer be paying for 2 licences.

11. CharlesB13

CharlesB13 Bit poster

DISLIKE lol

12. RyanO3

RyanO3 Bit poster

Bind the license to the person, not the machine. This is basic industry standard. Make it so you can't use two computers at once if you are worried about people cheating and giving their friend the key. I can't believe this is how Parallels wants to operate their software.

13. Pete8

Pete8 Bit poster

If I had any idea that I could only install parallels on one of my two computers, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. Unless they improve this, and realize that this is already pretty expensive as it is, and limiting it to either your desktop or your laptop or tablet but only one, I won't be buying it again. Get with the 2000s Parallels, people switch between workstation & portable based on whatevers most convenient on a million variables. My chair makes my back ache, I grab the laptop and go sit on the couch. Trying to tell me to repurchase a whole new set of all my software over again to go sit on the couch is absurd.

cam217 likes this.
  14. IanJ

IanJ Bit poster

So I have been on the Parallels trial and have really loved the product. Just went to purchase a license, and discovered that I need two separate licenses to run on my iMac and my MacBook Pro. I am an IT professional who needs to use this on my desktop when at home and on my laptop when "on the road". As many have said here this is really disappointing and means I will be choosing Vmware Fusion instead. Parallels has the better user experience in my view, but it's not that much of an advantage to pay double the price. Please hear the voices of everyone in this thread -- change your licensing model. You have a great product but it is hurting your business. ☹️

Parallels User likes this.
  15. KennethW3

KennethW3 Bit poster

As with many others on this thread, I have been a Parallels user through several versions, currently own Parallel 14, and unfortunately the annual license pricing and the inability to use the license on my two macs (work and home) has forced me to move to Vmware Fusion.

16. YongkiA

YongkiA Bit poster

agreed, I believe most power users of Apple product have more than one Apple product. I have MacBook Pro and iMac at home and office. buying two license copy just makes me feel unfair as well

17. StuartR5

StuartR5 Bit poster

I agree with the sentiment expressed here. I last used Parallels when it was at version 5, and have been using VMware Fusion since then--precisely because of the licensing issue. I, too, have two Macs--a MacBook and an iMac and switch between the two depending on whether I'm travelling/mobile or working from my home office. A few months ago I was all excited about the features in the latest version of Parallels, and installed a trial. Then when I looked at pricing, and discovered that I'd need *2* licenses, I uninstalled Parallels again and waited for VMware to update Fusion (which they did/do).

Not sure what Parallels is thinking--and I hope the model is working for you guys--but your pricing model leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I cannot afford to pay more than double what Fusion costs simply to gain a tiny bit of extra "polish" over what Fusion provides. Just doesn't make sense.

If / when you folks reconsider (or, the oft-mentioned "management" gets around to looking seriously at this issue and makes a change for the better), I, for one, would be delighted--and would return to using Parallels.

18. cam217

cam217 Junior Member

They use to let users install PD on up to 3 devices. They switched to the actual stupid license on only 1 device because they are greedy...
    I don't see them ever going back to reasonable sense. If you're planning on using VMs on 2 macs, PD costs twice the price, VMWare can be installed on up to 3 devices and Vitualbox is free... Your choice.

19. PatrickY

PatrickY Bit poster

I will also be switching to VMware from Parallels instead of renewing. You should definitely be able to use it on your desktop and laptop for that price.

20. KennethP3

KennethP3 Bit poster

I just bought, so I'm not switching yet, but I agree with everything said about wanting a single license to be able to run on 2 computers. I simply can't afford to pay $200 annually for this program. Aside from Windows OS, I can't think of any other program/software I have that can't be run on two computers. At $100 annually, this software would cost more than any other program I use in Mac and/or Windows, let alone $200. While I like the program performance and features, I am not sure it will be sustainable or even useful for me to have one copy for one computer for this much money when I need it on two computers and can't afford it. So, like everyone else, I'm also requesting the software/licensing be modified to run the program on two computers.

Andreas76 likes this.