Windows 10 VM freezes for 5 to 15 seconds regularly since High Sierra - Parallels 13.0.1 (42947)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AndrewB24, Oct 4, 2017.

1. sf10

sf10 Bit poster

PaulChris@Parallels - please help! my parallels 13 is up to date and is crashing every minute or so!

2. sf10

sf10 Bit poster

This worked for me: Go to Apple logo > System Preferences > Energy Saver, then turn OFF the 'Automatic graphics switching' checkbox.

3. GerdP

GerdP Bit poster

I have all the frozen/hanging problems of my Windows 10 VM described here (annoying), but I don't have this setting 'Automatic graphics switching' (iMac)
    Gerd

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @GerdP, the feature is available only on iMac. Is Windows 10 virtual machine freezes while starting up or when you are trying to open any applications?
    Can you please send us a Technical Data collected right after you open Task Manager in Windows 10 and Activity monitor (Help menu > Send Technical Data...)? This will help us significantly, please reply me back with the report ID number.

5. GerdP

GerdP Bit poster

Hi PaulChris@Parallels, the freezes didn't happen while starting up or when I tried to open any applications. Those happened in the middle of the work in applications but I cannot say if something like starting background updates happened at that time. Interesting enough, since I wrote my freeze problems into this forum, it hasn't happened anymore. Not sure if an Windows 10 update solved it (they are installed automatically in the background) or I was lucky in the last several days.
    Thanks Gerd

6. GerdP

GerdP Bit poster

Unfortunately, the Windows 10 system froze again now. I tried to de-install an application and then the system froze.... I was simply lucky that the system hasn't frozen for several days....
    Gerd

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @GerdP, we would recommend you to check your system.log for errors in the Console (Applications/Utilities/Console). Type "i/o" (without quotes) at Console's search bar and check if you can see "I/O error"

8. RobL3

RobL3 Bit poster

After banging my head against a wall for months I have solved this happening for me.

I disabled TRIM in the advanced disk settings and no more freezes!

Attached Files:

9. GerdP

GerdP Bit poster

Great. But unfortunately I have no setting TRIM....still habe freezes.

10. GaurangJ

GaurangJ Bit poster

My TRIM was already disabled. It still freezes. But thanks.

11. RobertC16

RobertC16 Bit poster

I found it was firefox that was killing my VM, go into options (in firefox) and disable hardware acceleration.

12. DavidG15

DavidG15 Bit poster

I am having this very issue, just as BorjaG describes, though as follows:
    • macOS Mojave (currently 0.14.3 Beta (18D32a), but it happen on current non-beta Mojave version also) + Parallels 14
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports), 3.5GHz i7
    I'm observing the same failure behavior and recovery process as described above. I've noticed the problem happens frequently when working with Office 365, but I spend a lot of timwworking in Office, so that may simply be a coincidence.

Hoping for a fix, here... this is appears to be a long-standing issue across multiple OS and Parallels versions.

13. AmerJ

AmerJ Bit poster

I have started getting same freezing issue since few days. I have tried all options mentioned in previous comments, e.g disabling Automatic Graphics Switching and Disk Trim option. Nothing worked for me. I have macOS Mojave and Parallels Desktop 15. My Windows 10 VM freezes after every few minutes in the middle of work and does not come back without "Reset". I am stuck and cannot do anything. Please help.

14. VadzimP

VadzimP Bit poster

Hi,
    I have the same problem with freezing - 5-10 sec during work randomly. (MacBook Pro Early 2013 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / Paralell 13 / Windows 7)
    According to recomendation of forum I changed:
    - TRIM - disabled
    - Automatic switch of graphic - OFF (Mac and Paralell settings)
    - Applications MAC from Win - Off
    And problem was solved. I will not to try to understand exact option helps me but it works.

15. Maria@Parallels

Maria@Parallels Problem solver

Could you collect the tech.report please and share the report's id here?

16. Maria@Parallels

Did you test the same behavior with the latest version of Parallels Desktop?

17. VadzimP

VadzimP Bit poster

I run into a problem for the first time in June. As far as I understand, I are to pay for upgrade to 14 or 15 and I just continue use 13.

18. Maria@Parallels

you can test the same issue with trial version.
    Did you make any updates before the issue appeared?

19. VadzimP

VadzimP Bit poster

As for testing on trial version - the times when I mastered the advantages of Windows 3.1 over 3.0. and it was interesting for me already behind. Let's leave it to enthusiasts :) I just wanted to share information that in a particular case there is a solution as I described.
    As for updates - some updates for MAC was applied but I can't fix moment exactly. Tech report of my system 322701698. Maybe it will be useful.

20. Maria@Parallels

Thanks a lot for sharing this.