Can't open Windows 10 - stuck on spinning device

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tblack, Jul 21, 2019.

1. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

This has now been the entire f'ing day. did the reset above in the command prompt. after 4 HOURS my laptop overheated and died.
    This is the 3rd time parallels has failed me, lost a days work (and now i have to reinstall everything), so probably another day.

Awesome.

2. Guys, we recieved updates from the Parallels Engineering team.
    Please generate the tech report with detailed logging. You can find how to do it here.
    Also please collect a spin dump during the Parallels Desktop freezing.
    Looking forward to your reply

3. PardhaS

PardhaS Bit poster

When I tried these steps, I did not get any "Operation progress". when I pressed enter, cursor is on the next line and nothing is happening. here is bow my screen is now:

upload_2019-9-25_5-49-16.png

4. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

I'm sorry, you want me to send you a bunch of information, yet you have an update? Why don't you post the update here instead of wasting everyone's time?

5. PardhaS

PardhaS Bit poster

Same here ... sending information is pointless ... I followed the process and submitted a ticket two weeks ago. Here is where things are now. Tell us what the update is.

upload_2019-9-25_11-5-19.png

BradC1 likes this.
  6. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

Exactly what mine did. And then it overheated my Macbook Pro 2018 and everything reset.

@PardhaS Third time this has happened to me. Planning on cancelling my subscription, that I've had for 3 years, if this isn't resolved shortly.

7. PardhaS

PardhaS Bit poster

Well ... I am not too far behind. I have 4 Macs running with Parallel. Up until early 2017 things were great and things started going down. This year ... it is pretty much a nose dive. Every time I report an issue, they do nothing to find the root cause. I end up restoring a time machine backup.

8. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

That's where I am. I was faster restoring a backup than going through this stuff. I just did that, saved my work then reinstalled windows. This isn't acceptable though.

9. MargaretD1

MargaretD1 Junior Member

Another person with the same issue. Business version of Parallels 13.3.2, running windows 10 on High Sierra. Problem for me is, I have 4 LABS with many machines with the same issue. Students depend on these machines to do their course work, instructors depend on them to be able to present their course!!! This is UNACCEPTABLE! I spent half a day in one lab yesterday trying to remedy this situation. I'm wasting a lot of time. Sometimes running the sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Preferences/Parallels seems to help, but not always. I have a feeling this has something to do with Windows updates. Has anyone tried turning the Win upd service off totally to see if this helps?

10. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

I can't even get into my Windows 10 now, so no idea. I can't try anything.
    Don't worry though, "the Parallels Engineering team" has an update for us, but they won't share it apparently.

MargaretD1 likes this.
  11. MargaretD1

MargaretD1 Junior Member

Thanks, HarryS5, it's not too often I get a good chuckle on a technical forum :p.

12. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, honestly.

I read somewhere you might be able to install a new windows image and then take the .hdd file and attach it somehow so you can at least get data from it, but I haven't tried this yet since I was able to restore a backup of my data.

MargaretD1 likes this.
  13. MargaretD1

MargaretD1 Junior Member

Unfortunately, with close to 200 machines and busy lab schedules, that's not an option for me.

14. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

I can't believe this. It just happened again with a new install. Laptop became EXTREMELY hot, and then my battery was drained (even though it was plugged in the entire time) with parallels running. Laptop slowed to a halt. I force closed parallells and everything is fine again and my laptop is accepting a charge.

15. MargaretD1

MargaretD1 Junior Member

16. r3volution11

r3volution11 Junior Member

I just got hit with this problem earlier this afternoon. Out of nowhere my Windows 10 VM froze up. Then my Mac started to freeze up, eventually requiring a force restart. After checking the disk, resetting pram, I loaded up Parallels again. I got the "Checking disks.." message and now a Mac that is getting pushed to its limits, with intermittent freezing and Parallels showing no indication of any progress after 30+ minutes.

This is not cool.

17. r3volution11

r3volution11 Junior Member

On a side note, don't you think it was to show an indicator of some sort? Seeing a spinner for any length of period of time will drive anyone mad.

18. Sorry for the inconvenience, but we need a bit more info for the issue investigation and then we've request it from you.
    This is an update which we received from the Engineering team.

19. Could you provide us please with the following info:
    Guys, we recieved updates from the Parallels Engineering team.
    Please generate the tech report with detailed logging. You can find how to do it here.
    Also please collect a spin dump during the Parallels Desktop freezing.

20. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

This is brutal.

I can't get any of those logs, if I boot this image, my mac completely freezes, goes extremely hot and then eventually over heats and dies. How would you expect me to get the logs?