Cannot change resolution ( Windows 10 / Microsoft Basic Display Adapter )

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MichaelJ9, Jan 4, 2017.

1. MichaelJ9

MichaelJ9 Bit poster

Hello,
    Unfortunately, I cannot change the resolution under Windows 10. When I go to the Advanced display settings, there is only one option, 1024x768, and it is grayed out / cannot be changed. When I try to check the driver, there is only "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" available. I wonder if I need to change something here.
    Thank you,
    Mike

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi MichaelJ9, please let us know the version of Parallels Desktop and we will help on this.

3. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

Have the same exact problem here - Followed the first 6 threads here, no solution yet.
    Help. 1024x768 isn't that useful anymore

4. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hello Harry, please follow the below steps and keep us updated on your progress:
    1. Start Parallels Desktop ( Do not start Windows Virtual Machine ).
    2. Go to Virtual Machine configuration > Options tab > Full Screen > From the Scale to fit screen drop-down list choose Keep ratio.
    3. Go to Hardware tab > Graphics or Video > Select " Scaled " as suggested in the article.

5. CarlS1

CarlS1 Bit poster

I'm having the same trouble though my settings are as you posted.
    Could it be, that the graphics driver is the problem? In an older mashine that I am using with windows 10, the graphics driver is "Parallels Display Adappter WDDM" and it works just fine. Now in the newly installed windows 10 (where I can only have 1024x768 resolution) the graphics driver is "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".
    Where can I get this older driver?

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @CarlS1, please reinstall Parallels Tools to get a "Parallels Display Adapter WDDM" If the issue persists, please remove all applications for projectors, USB-VGA drivers (Startech) and applications for the remote access from the Control Panel (open Start menu > type Control Panel > Programs/Programs and Features > Uninstall a program) and check the issue.

7. CarlS1

CarlS1 Bit poster

Thanx! This one helped.

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

You are welcome! Please let us know if you have any questions and we are here to help!

9. MarkB36

MarkB36 Bit poster

I have Parallels/Win10 resolution issues:
    I have a macbook pro circa 2014
    OS Hi Sierra 10.13.6
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB & Intel Iris Pro 1536MB
    Parrallels 14 and Windows 10
    I can only get 1920 x 1200 in Windows 10 even though my earlier version of Parallels/Win7 could get my MacBook native resolution of 2560x1440.
    I think has to do with the perfect storm of new features in Parallels and the Win10's "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" vs the "Parallels Display adaptor WDDM" of Win7
    Any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance

10. StinaD

StinaD Bit poster

Hi!
    I run Windows 10 through Parallels 13 on my Mac, and need to set the resolution to 1920x1080 (scaling 100%), in order to fix a problem with a Windows-based program. I managed to set the scaling to 100% through some configuration tips here, but the resolution keeps changing as soon as I resize the Windows window. I understand this is the way it's supported to work but is there any way to fix the resolution at 1920x1080?
    Would be immensely grateful for help!!

11. MarkB36

MarkB36 Bit poster

FYI, I found out the solution to my issue. I reinstalled Parallels Toolbox and all is good.

12. StinaD

StinaD Bit poster

My issue got solved as well Thanks for replying!

13. kavyaM

kavyaM Hunter

Hi StinaD & MarkB36 Good to know that the issue is resolved. Please let us know if you have any questions.

14. PauloH3

PauloH3 Bit poster

boa tarde conseguem me da um suporte quanto a isntalção?

15. PauloH3

PauloH3 Bit poster

Nome do modelo: MacBook Pro

Identificador do modelo: MacBookPro7,1

Nome do processador: Intel Core 2 Duo

Velocidade do Processador: 2,4 GHz

Número de Processadores: 1

Número total de núcleos: 2

Cache de L2: 3 MB

Memória: 4 GB

Velocidade do barramento: 1,07 GHz

Versão da ROM de inicialização: 66.0.0

Versão do SMC (sistema): 1.62f7

ESTOU COM A VERSAO PARALLELS 12 , PODEM ME AJUDAR AINSTALAR O WINDOWS? E QUAL E O RECOMENDADO PARA ESTA MAQUINA ?

16. Hi before the installation, please check this KB article about Parallels Desktop and Mac OS compatibility.
    Also please use this KB article to install Windows on your Mac with Parallels Desktop.
    Please let us know if it's not that case.

17. krogerf

krogerf Bit poster

I was seriously facing this issue lately but surprisingly since i have recently updated my pc to windows 10 enterprise. But somehow after going through the articles posted here helped me fix this issue.
    Thanks and Regards,
    Kroger John

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2019
  18. Please let us know if the issue reoccurs or if you have any additional questions to us. We will be glad to help.