How to copy files from Mac to Windows VM?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by DrScott, Apr 6, 2006.

1. DrScott

DrScott Bit poster

Is the only way available for copying files cut-and-paste?

2. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Hmmm, I tried using "Connect to Server" using the SMB protocol and the Mac gave me error code 36. I'm not sure why that doesn't work (maybe it's mentioned in the release notes, I haven't read them yet ). On the other hand, from inside the virtual windows session, I was able to use Network neighborhood to connect to folders on other servers in my house with no problem.
    D

3. Schmidt

Schmidt Bit poster

No cut-and-paste copying is not available. But you can make .iso image and connected it to vm.

4. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

I was able to get SMB sharing working. You have to create a file in /etc called nsmb.conf and add the lines
    [default]
    minauth=none

Then reboot the Mac and you can then access the virtual windows C drive directly from the Mac.

David Jameson

5. mmak

mmak Member

Sorely needed feature is folder sharing, but in the meantime, ftp seems to work for me, with the server being the OSX side.

6. John Mac

John Mac Junior Member

I am still unable to get SMB working.

When I attempt to connect to the smb://my-computer-name/ it errors out with -36

On the Windows XP side, I can scroll through 'My Network Places' and see the Macintosh computer name, but when I select the link, it times out and then errors with a permission problem. Also cannot map the network drive using IP address. :(

Any ideas?

I did add the /etc file entry as suggested by a previous post, but this had no noticable effect.

Thanks,

-- JM.

7. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

This definitely solves the problem. Did you reboot your Mac after the change?
    Here is the link from Apple that I followed - I found it by doing a search for the error.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301580

D

8. e7sharp9

e7sharp9 Member

File sharing using Parallels Workstation.

You need to have both a wireless and wired network connection. OSX will be setup to use the wired connection and XP will be setup to use the wireless connection.

In OSX System Preferences>Network>Show Network Port Configurations, make sure that Built-in Ethernet and Airport are both enabled and that Built-in Ethernet is above Airport in the list. This will select Built-in Ethernet for the mac when both connections are available.

In OSX System Preferences>Sharing>Services, enable Windows Sharing. You'll need to click Accounts and enable access for whatever user on OSX for which you want to see files. At the bottom of the preference pane you will see a message that says:

Windows users can access your computer at \\ip-address\username

Enabled accounts: User Name

In Parallels Workstation Resources window, set the network adapter to use Bridged Ethernet en1. This will use the wireless interface in XP.

Start the VM and login to XP.

Select Start>My Computer
    Ctrl (Right) Click on My Network Places
    Select Map Network Drive
    You'll see Z: in the Drive: list
    Type the \\ip-address\username from above in the Folder: list and click Finish.
    It should return rather quickly with a mapped drive which you can then see your OSX files in XP's Z: drive. If it searches for a while and can't find that drive, then you did something wrong. Check the ip number etc.

When finished, right click My Network Places and select Disconnect Network Drive and disconnect the drive that was connected earlier.

9. John Mac

John Mac Junior Member

Thanks - I will give that a try.

Is there any (easy) way to share files when not connected to an Ethernet port? I.e., I am on an airplane, or in an airport and want to have Mac OSX see and exchange files with Parallels Windows XP C: drive.

The Q emulator has a Q Folder that is visible by both OS's without any networking. This is extremely useful.

Thanks again.

-- JM.

10. rthrash

rthrash Bit poster

Can you expand a bit more on this please?

11. JoGro123

JoGro123 Bit poster

I'm having an issue with both printer and folder sharing different than the -36 error recieved by other users. Both my WinXP Pro SP2 VM and my 10.4.6 is able to access and be accessed by other users on the network (SMB, sharing, etc. is obviously correctly enabled). However, the two cannot access eachother.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jordan

12. neilio

neilio Member

Did the nsmb.conf file edit, and the first time I tried connecting to my VM from my mac I got a kernel panic. Oh, the excitement of beta quality software! :)

13. anshar

anshar Member

Beta2

Try Beta2 - it is claimed that network related kernel panic are fixed there.

14. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

15. flafeer

flafeer Junior Member

On beta2, it doesn't seem necessary to have both wireless and wired connections. As I type this I have just the wireless connection only. And I have the C$ drive from a win2k3 server (running in parallels, obviously) mounted in OS X.

OS X is using the airport connection, and Win2k3 Server is using en1 bridged. Each got an IP address via DHCP. This is on a MacBook Pro.

So far so good.

16. badmofo

badmofo Bit poster

I've lost the connection....

When I upgraded to the beta 2 I can no longer "map a network drive..." from within WinXP to my Mac OS, it times out saying "Network path cannot be found". Nor can I FTP to my Mac.

I was able to use both of these techniques with the Beta 1 (by the way, previouslyI found FTP'ing much quicker and more responsive).

Has anyone else experienced this change?

17. STim

STim Bit poster

18. e7sharp9

e7sharp9 Member

Yep. Beta 2 just works!