VPN on XP Pro?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dradavies, May 18, 2006.

1. dradavies

dradavies Bit poster

Using the last few betas and now the RC very successfully on my MacBook 2.16ghz with an XP Pro SP2 guest, and I love it -- thanks for a fabulous product.

There's really only one thing I've been unable to do, and that is VPN into my work network from within XP. All the VPN settings are correct, I'm pretty sure, but when I hit 'connect', it finds the server but is unable to connect and reports that the server is not responding. It is via my 'real' XP box which is configured the same. Is this a quirk/feature of the way networking is set up? Has anyone managed this? If so, can you tell me how, please? If not, is it ever likely to be do-able? Thanks!

Andrew Davies

2. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

I've succesfully VPN'ed in to a client's network inside my XP Pro guest VM. I just set up a network connection in XP and it connected then authenticated my account.

Note, at first I tried to set up the VPN connection from the Mac side and I got a successful connection, but found that when I ran the XP guest in Paralles, that the VM would freeze.

3. dradavies

dradavies Bit poster

Hmm. Strange. I tried creating a new connection from scratch, still no luck. Do you mind telling me, are you using ethernet or airport (I've only used the latter so far), and, are you using static IPs or using DHCP?

Thanks,

Andrew

4. dirk@hohndel.org

dirk@hohndel.org Member

First time I tried VPN from XP in a VM I ran into Windows' Firewall being enabled by default when doing a fresh install of XP-SP2; that kept my VPN software from connecting. Once I turned that off (and replaced it with the firewall product that is supported by our IT people) I was able to connect both through bridged and host-only/shared connections.

/D

5. dradavies

dradavies Bit poster

Thanks. It looks like my XP installation might be corrupt - it's telling me it's unable to start the firewall service. I think I'll try a reinstall.

Andrew

6. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

The XP VM is getting its IP from DHCP and am networking using bridged ethernet though Airport.

7. dradavies

dradavies Bit poster

Thanks very much!