PD 13 + Catalina - slow Windows 10 UI issues

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ViacheslavK, Oct 7, 2019.

1. ViacheslavK

ViacheslavK Junior Member

Hi! Just installed Catalina release on 2016 MacBook Pro running PD13 and Windows 10 VM. Everything was working well before the install, but now VM is noticeably slow - hovering mouse over messages in Outlook, the highlight follows the cursor with a 0.5 second delay.

Tried reinstalling Parallels Tools, and reinstalling PD completely without any result.

What should I do to restore performance?

LuizM1 likes this.
  2. kylin

kylin Bit poster

Same problem!
    Windows is extremely slow.

3. Hi, Parallels Desktop 13 is two version behind and doesn't support the new MacOS release Catalina 10.15
    Please check this article for more info about the know issues with macOS Catalina and Parallels Desktop
    Please let us know if you have any questions.

4. ViacheslavK

Maria, thank you for this acknowledgement. PD 13 was released only two years ago, I think we as customers can expect the software released not so long ago to be supported?

Additionally, the article you mentioned does not clearly indicate that PD13 is not supported - why wouldn't Parallels make this clear so their customers do not lose time?

I hope the issue is fixed, otherwise ayou would disappoint your customers, as you have disappointed me already.

TomR5, sagifer, r__7 and 1 other person like this.
  5. ViacheslavK

Maria, to follow-up on my message above - this article indicates that PD12 supports MacOS 10.14 or later and does not mention lack of support for 10.15: https://kb.parallels.com/114381

6. EricS24

EricS24 Bit poster

I think they update the old PD versions, but they just don't. Because they want to sell the new version. Maybe there is some throttling in the software to force us to buy the new version.

7. XaviorH

XaviorH Bit poster

Same problem on imac 2017 with PD 14, so I reinstalled it. Guess what, my activation key gets rejected.....

8. ViacheslavK

@Maria@Parallels, would appreciate if you share your thoughts on my messages above?

9. Thanks for your comment, we've updated this KB article and also Parallels Desktop 12 has been marked with * and versions marked with asterisks are partially compatible with the corresponding macOS versions and may not work correctly.

10. PerryK2

PerryK2 Bit poster

PD 15.1.1 on Catalina. Windows is unusable. Linux on same Mac runs well.

11. Please provide us with more details about the Windows vm issue with MacOS Catalina?

12. PerryK2

PerryK2 Bit poster

PD 15.1.1
    Catalina - current as of this date
    Windows 10 - current as of this date
    VM's made with 2 or 4 processors
    VM's made with 8 GB RAM
    Unusably slow performance. During boot, the spinning dots initially go "full" speed - then slow down and hiccup. Thereafter, all system functioning is slow and hiccups.
    Ubuntu 18 LTS on same host computer works as before.

Virtualbox 6 running same settings (Windows, etc) works flawlessly on same host.

13. LuizM1

LuizM1 Bit poster

Same problem , But I tried what they said and it worked

14. Could you share please what did you do?

15. sburg

sburg Bit poster

Just a hint for those who struggle with this problem just as I did.
    It seems to have something to do with GPU acceleration and not switching to the external GPU card. When I connected my Macbook to an external monitor, which automatically forces the usage of external GPU, the slow behaviour went away and all started to work as good as it used to. I assume that forcing the usage of external card in MacOS settings may do the trick even for setups without an external display.
    My setup: PD v13 + Macbook on OS Catalina.

16. TengJ

TengJ Bit poster

Still no idea what to do...

17. JabbaTheNut

JabbaTheNut Bit poster

I am having serious latency issues, as well (on my iMac with Catalina, which is described below). I have tried two scenarios: 1) with an eGPU and 2) without an eGPU.

Without an eGPU: In this scenario, I experience modest, but very noticeable latency. In this scenario, I do not have an eGPU connected to the iMac.
    With an eGPU: In this scenario, I experience very significant latency. This latency makes Parallels effectively unusable. Please note, that I selected Prefer External GPU in the Get Info panel of the Parallels 15 application.

Computer Description:
    iMac 2019, 128GB RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 48 GPU with 8GB VRAM, Sonnet 650 eGPU with a Radeon VII with 16GB VRAM
    Mac OS Catalina
    Parallels 15 with Windows 10 build 1909

18. kylin

kylin Bit poster

I find a way to make the Windows runs in a acceptable performance.
    1. Run pd Windows in background, uncheck the auto pause option in settings.
    2. Install Microsoft Remote Desktop Apps from AppStore.Then connect Windows with it.
    (OPTIONAL: make the Windows allows login from remote connect first).
    It's much more fluent then the original pd client.

19. JabbaTheNut

JabbaTheNut Bit poster

@kylin,
    Interesting approach (remote desktop from the Mac side into the Parallels VM). I wonder how hardware usage is affected by this approach (i.e., cpu and ram usage based on Parallels settings)? I am assuming it would be the same, but not sure.

20. kylin

kylin Bit poster

In my case, 2 cores , 6GB, runs much better than pd client with 4 cores and 8GB.