VM wasn't resuming... almost an eternal wait

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dkwehe, Sep 26, 2007.

1. dkwehe

dkwehe Member

I am among those who never have had a problem with Parallels, until tonight.

When I went to resume the VM, I got the "Please wait while virtual machine is resuming ..." that was eternal. Forced quits and restarts didn't help.

After several minutes of waiting, it has now returned as usual. What might have caused this very long delay? A firmware update is the only change in machine configuration.

AlkaSeltzer Relieved.

2. davidhale

davidhale Member

I see you received no responses, but I have experienced the same problem today. Finally I decided to wait it out to see if it would ever start. It eventually started after about 11 minutes.

3. brkirch

brkirch Pro

I just had this problem as well, but in my case it was with a snapshot. So I used Shark to take a time profile of Parallels while it was hanging. Hopefully the Parallels team can use that to diagnose the problem even if they can't reproduce it directly. In this particular case it took Parallels about 10 minutes of CPU time to resume (which means the Parallels process spent 10 minutes at 100% CPU usage). Until the very last few seconds before the resume completed, the VM's screen remained dimmed.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  4. davidhale

davidhale Member

I had it again tonight, but slightly different.

This time, the VM "resumed" right away, but then froze. It didn't hang while resuming, but rather appeared to have resumed; only, it was unresponsive. I waited about 15 minutes, then noticed that my Mac's clock wasn't ticking and the mouse pointer wouldn't move. The computer was completely frozen.

5. audio_inside

audio_inside Bit poster

I'm also having up to 10 or 15 minute resumes - never saw it until today. Nearly 100% on at least one CPU out of 4 the whole time. I'm running 3.0/5160 with 3GB of RAM on a MacPro.

Things that may be unique about today's config:

1) I'm working from a reverted snapshot
    2) When I suspended the VM I had an ActiveSync connection to a PDA via USB. Anyone else have an active USB connection while suspending/resuming?

Ah, it's back. That was about 7 minutes to resume...

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

brkirch, we can't open your link unfortunately.

everybody, we need some details to analyze the issue:

- your Mac models,
    - Mac OS versions,
    - Parallels Desktop version you are using,
    - some circumstances preceding the moment you met the problem (had you changed any settings, installed any programs or drivers etc.)

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. aleese

aleese Bit poster

Mine is becoming a pain now, so much so that Im considering looking for a refund.
    It takes at least 10 mins to come back from suspend. I need it back as I use my VM for my on-call duties, every second counts.

Mine is running on

Imac Intel Core2 Duo 2.16 ghz
    2Gb RAM
    OS X 10.4.10

Parallels 3.0 build 5160 (11 sep 07)

VM - Windows XP 512Mb RAM

8. aleese

aleese Bit poster

Oh and nothing really changes. I use my XP VM, do work, finish the work and the close parallels (which suspends the VM). Then when i need it, I start it up and have to wait.
    I have my prefs set to suspend on app quit.
    I have tried in coherence and full-screen and it's the same.
    I dont have any changes in my state, i.e. no USB devices differ from suspend to power-up
    I turned off all the sharing but this didnt make any difference either.

9. brkirch

brkirch Pro

I noticed that the file seems to be incorrectly interpreted as text (at least by Safari). Try this link.

2.0GHz MacBook Pro
    Parallels Desktop 3.0 build 5160
    This problem seems to be produced almost at random, but if it occurs with a snapshot it will always occur with that snapshot. However if you have a snapshot that takes several minutes to resume you can then take another snapshot immediately after the resume has completed and the same problem usually will NOT occur.

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello everybody,

1. In the Finder, browse to the virtual machine folder (the default path is: Documents-Parallels-Virtual Machine).
    2. Find and delete the ".sav" and ".mem" files in the virtual machine folder.

Resuming should go normally now. Does it?

Best regards,
    Xenos

11. aleese

aleese Bit poster

That deleted the suspended state and so the VM started from cold-start
    I then suspended it again once it had "powered up and settled"
    Then i restarted parallels and again now still waiting for it to resume.

So no change.

12. natanddan1

natanddan1 Bit poster

I am having the same problem myself. I click on the parallels icon and the screen loads up, but non of the desktop icons or start buttons work, its like the whole of the screen is frozen!!!!

I have tried to locate the 'virtual machine' folder in Finder but cannot find it so cannot delete the files as advised. I am now completely stuck as to what i can do!!!!!!! Any advice?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  13. nwgray

nwgray Member

Same problem here - 20 minutes to resume from standby. Macbook Pro with 512mb set aside for the VM. I restarted my MB twice and started Parallels first before opening any other apps. This just started today. I used it Saturday and everything worked well. I haven't tried restarting it again since it seems to be working okay so far. If it happens again tomorrow, I will post a follow-up.

14. natanddan1

natanddan1 Bit poster

Same as, been fine since installing it over 2 months ago. Tried today and nothing.

Heeeelllllllppppp!

15. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

We are looking for the decision... Please, wait for a while. I hope I'll be able to give you the answer tomorrow.

Best regards,
    Xenos

16. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello everybody,

I have to say that we can't solve the problem right now. Thank you for your reports. Parallels developers are aware of the issue. It will be fixed in future updates. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
    Xenos

17. natanddan1

natanddan1 Bit poster

Ok so what now?

We just wait until a new update is available?

18. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Yes, or temporarily downgrade. I consider it likely that there will be an update soon, as the Parallels team probably has been holding back on updates to ensure that the next update runs perfectly under Leopard.

19. natanddan1

natanddan1 Bit poster

yes buy i have not upgraded since buying and installing v3.0 from the original disc

20. aleese

aleese Bit poster

So - what now? Its not usable in this state as I said. How do I start to look at refund options? Or do you have an estimate of when it will be fixed?