External FireWire800 CDRom drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by davec, Oct 20, 2007.

1. davec

davec Junior Member

My VP is stopped.
    I go to Edit->Virtual Machine->CD/DVD Rom->Emulation->CD/DVD Rom Drive: popup menu

the menu ONLY lists "Default CD/DVD Rom". What? Okay that's the build-in DVD drive. How do I select my external drive? and where, exactly is the "Default" set? I could go THERE and change the "Default" to be the external drive, but there is no place i know of to set the "Default" except right here in this screen, which does NOT list my drive. Huh?

2. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

Hi,

How about the *add* button in the configuration editor? [The one you're referring to.]

I don't have an external CD/DVD drive so can't test it, but it looks like highlighting "CD/DVD-ROM" and then selecting "add" will allow you to add your drive.

HTH,
    Good luck,

Cheers,
    Ian

3. davec

davec Junior Member

I should have said: when i do that I still only see "Default DVD" in the popup menu. Using the "+" does NOT allow me to add my drive.

4. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

Bummer dude!

I don't know what to tell you :-(

Except, you "inspired" me to mount a FW800 Harddrive - I have no problem "seeing" it, and have in fact created a new image on it - So, I suspect its not the FW800 driver.....

Sorry to not be of more help. Incidentally, what version are you running?

Cheers,
    Ian

5. davec

davec Junior Member

version number 5160.0

6. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

unfortunately FireWire devices are not supported now, but our developers are working hard to make it available in future versions.
    It's possible to connect an external HDD via FireWire port by using shared folder. But you have a FireWire CD-Rom drive, so I think that you will need to wait.
    Sorry for inconvenience.

Best regards,
    Stacey

7. fast_ian

fast_ian Member

Even bigger bummer dude! - Sorry - We tried!

8. davec

davec Junior Member

Wow I really need this because my internal CD-ROM drive does not support read/write subchannels (R-W), but my external does. :( Sooooon?? Pretty please?

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Can't you burn from the OS X side?

10. davec

davec Junior Member

Right but i'm trying to do something in *Windows* here.

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Right... Just trying to think of an alternative as you are trying to do a non-supported thing.

Would BC work for this?

12. davec

davec Junior Member

yes boot camp works fine. i don't want to reboot and i don't want to not have OSX running. I'm asking for something that's not there, i know that. But that's what I want.