Do not show promo offers

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by SPX, Aug 22, 2017.

?

Who also gets these annoying ads to upgrade and wishes you could minimize them or say notify later?

1. Me too.

79.2%
  2. I do too.

20.8%
  1. SPX

SPX Junior Member

Please remove commercial junk like Acornis true image, Install Antivirus....
    Buying software for 79,99 and still get questions about other software i DO NOT want to purchase, put in in the trail version but not for people who has bought a license.

tonza, MannyD2, ChrisR33 and 68 others like this.
  2. TomC4

TomC4 Bit poster

I agree with you. I also found the pop-ups prompting me to install the Parallels Toolkit to be very annoying. I simply didn't want that junk. I would much rather have a rock-solid core product than a bunch of unneeded and unwanted embellishments. Unfortunately, Parallels is no longer a rock-solid product. Combining buggy software, hardware resource restrictions, and bloatware doesn't seem to be a winning strategy to me.

mds11, SAMM25, Wil2 and 1 other person like this.
  3. CamilleD

CamilleD Bit poster

I'm upset because : each new version is more intrusive regarding advertising.
    Since I have upgrade for the version 12.2.1 I can't use more than 8Go of memory as before and I have a message that say that I have to upgrade to the pro version if I want to use more than 8go of memory.
    In fact this software is a trap : every year you have to pay and soon the normal version will have less and less capacity in favor of a pro version....
    GRRR....

4. VarunS

VarunS Bit poster

Here is a crazy idea. What if you stopped displaying advertisements to customers who have paid good money for your product? Might make you look respectable!

[​IMG]

takerukoushirou and JoseJ4 like this.
  5. Ronald Bokleman

Ronald Bokleman Member

TOTALLY agree! I was about to make a post and include this ridiculous screen shot, but I'm glad someone already did. STOP this nonsense!!

Wil2 likes this.
  6. OldNerdGuy

OldNerdGuy Bit poster

I did not buy your product for you to force Ads onto my desktop. GET RID OF THEM. Just because you are advertising your own products does not make it proper, it is just RUDE in the worst degree.

If you treat your customers like dirt, they will return the favor.

GET RID OF THE ADS!!!

7. VarunS

VarunS Bit poster

8. PhilipT3

PhilipT3 Bit poster

Okay Moderator, you win. I withdraw the quip that this feature is on a par with 1990's shareware. I still stand by my comment that this is both a product and marketing mis-fire.

9. Bravo !!! Another thing VMWare does not subject us to...

10. jhochwald

jhochwald Bit poster

How about an opt out/opt in (permanent)?
    That could be a solution for all, those who want the offers (safe on bundle stuff) and the others (like me) who doesn't like the advertising at all.

DavidG52 likes this.
  11. med220m

med220m Bit poster

those who want the offers (safe on bundle stuff) and the others (like me) who doesn't like the advertising at all.

12. ColinL3

ColinL3 Bit poster

It just got worse - they are trying to get Internet Explorer resurrected by sticking it in safari extensions to direct all webpages viewed to IE.
    This un- installable Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 6.02.59 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 6.06.06 PM.jpg

13. ChrisH18

ChrisH18 Bit poster

I was shocked and offended to suddenly get a popup ad in a Parallels wrapper today. Considering I just bought Parallels a few weeks ago, and then spent more money on Windows 10 for it to get rid of the customization restriction, I was very unhappy to suddenly get a popup ad!

I have read from other threads this has gone on a long time and has caused people to use other VMs. Had I known about this I would have gone with something else also. This MUST STOP. Parallels, you must NOT advertise crap on a PAID product, it is very unethical and is costing you business. I will recommend to people not to buy this until I hear official word that this feature has been wiped clean of your paid product.

JoseJ4 likes this.
  14. JoseJ4

JoseJ4 Bit poster

Same here, I'm sick of seeing these adds trying to sell more software.
    I've paid for my subscription, I'm not using a free edition or anything like that.
    Please STOP!
    Thank you.

15. JoseJ4

JoseJ4 Bit poster

I've contacted Parallels support. This is their answer about the adds that appear when you start Parallels:

"We occasionally share special offers from Parallels or other third party companies who provide special deals for our customers. Many of our customers rely on the information about product updates and appreciate the special deals for products that are of interest to them.
    Individual notifications can be turned off by clicking the "don't show this again" button. However, because customers need to receive important product information, there is not a mechanism for customers to completely disable notifications. Thanks."

16. JoseJ4

JoseJ4 Bit poster

And this was my final answer after they insisted on the same:
    "Please take in consideration your customers' suggestions. It's great to sell more, but not by upsetting your own clients with adds. Please, enable an option in your software where paid users can choose to avoid advertising. Thank you."

17. JasonR11

JasonR11 Bit poster

Thanks for your Solid Answer. I would much rather have a rock-solid core product than a bunch of unneeded and unwanted embellishments.

18. MatthewT5

MatthewT5 Bit poster

This issue is preventing me from purchasing Parallels Desktop. I simply cannot justify purchasing adware. Parallels, you cannot have your cake and eat it. Either make your software paid, or make it ad-supported freeware - not both. The adverts are simply in an awkward marriage with a paid product.
    Litmus test: What is your competition doing? VMware Fusion does not include adverts. Virtualbox does not include adverts.

Parallels Desktop lacks the professionalism warranting a 'Pro' edition. It is highly unprofessional to display adverts in your product. It's like a relic of the early 2000s. Picture this: You're demonstrating something to your clients, and all of a sudden a special offer pops up. You look like a fool.

Now, let's carefully scrutinise the response from Parallels staff:
    The first justification is that the adverts can be turned off. Expressed at this level of generality, the assertion is false. The ads cannot be turned off. They can individually be turned off, but that does not prevent future adverts from displaying. This justification does not address the root criticism: the software should not have ads at all, in the first place.
    The second justification is that the adverts are somehow helpful to users. This is a highly contestable statement. The software being offered has very little relevance to Parallels, and a lot of it is crapware. You know where you could put these offers? In an email sent out to subscribers, to which they can opt-out of, or filter, such emails.

Let's look at the real justification for this: you're getting paid for those ads, aren't you? Just be candid about it. You're double dipping. You're charging for the product while you're also selling your user's eyes to advertisers.

Remove this pathetic bug and fire the person responsible for it.

peter49 likes this.
  19. JeffreyT3

JeffreyT3 Bit poster

I was just watching a movie on my iMac computer and got a popup overtop of the movie I was watching on my PC side saying:
    "Service Notification #1
    for Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac Users
    Your Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac is one version behind and is not fully optimized and compatible with the new
    MacOS release, Catalina (10.5)."

And so on. Do you relly have to make a popup overtop of all screens so it interrupts you from watching a movie? It seems that the people at Parallels Desktop do not care if they interrupt you from working or enjoying a movie to sell you things instead. You also disabled the yellow minamize button so I can't hide it while watching a movie! Are you serious?! Your software is turning into Adware. If you are going to make an ad for people make it not disrupt them from working and so you can minimize it. I am reporting this to Apple.

20. JeffreyT3

JeffreyT3 Bit poster

Parallels does not tell you here that your all your 34 bit Adobe software on your Mac will stop working if you upgrade to Catalina. They don't bother helping you, but only want to sell you their software...